• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nose cap refitting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaBee133

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Both of my plains rifles have a gap of 1/16-3/16” between the stock and the cap body. The cap “wings” fit perfectly, but the gap looks like a serious weak spot.
Do I just carve the “wing” relief back farther? Epoxy fill the gap? This is the pinned “better” fitting. The brass TC with screws is far more sloppy.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5444.jpeg
    IMG_5444.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Both of my plains rifles have a gap of 1/16-3/16” between the stock and the cap body. The cap “wings” fit perfectly, but the gap looks like a serious weak spot.
Do I just carve the “wing” relief back farther? Epoxy fill the gap? This is the pinned “better” fitting. The brass TC with screws is far more sloppy.
Thanks
That gap on the inside is so the outside fits better. No need to hunt for a problem.

It’s fine as it is. It doesn’t wobble, right?
Nose cap no, ramrod entry pipe yes. The rifle a few poorly fit components but shot fine last time it was used. Another member compared my pics in another thread to his GPR, same year of manufacture, same fit issues, same accuracy (really decent).

That gap on the inside is so the outside fits better. No need to hunt for a problem.
Am going to refinish the stock after deer season. Correct a few areas with poor wood to metal fit, like the trigger guard and tang. If the cap needed adjusting, it as well. I know that the GPR and TC Hawkens were built as working guns. The original owner of both mine hunted with both of them. I’m the 3rd owner of both.

Latest posts

Back