• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not Period Correct but works wonderful

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eaglesnester said:
Just read a paper on this subject and the conclusion was from the chemist author that ordinary automatic transmission fluid was the best rust preventive.

ATF Type-F is what TVM says to use on the outside of their muzzleloaders! Cheap and comes in quart size to boot, been using it with great results...many detractors on this site though.

I do some restoration work and will mention two different guns.The first one was a Springfield 1863 with some rust especially where it had stood in a corner and that I couldn't do much about it the other severe area was the rear sight which was really severe and locked up.Here I used an old fashioned remedy-lemon juice full strength and with repeated applications. It took about two weeks but the sight worked fine. I used the lemon juice on the other lighter rust and got good results with no ill affects to the patina.When I was reenacting I wiped my gun {new} with the juice in the morning after taking it out of the case and everything was cool with no rust or ill affects to the rest of the gun.

The second treatment is when I have an old gun and want to enhance the patina without using super duper stuff.I just take the gun and lightly hand wipe/rub the wood while watching TV. When I can't get into areas with my hand I use nose grease,it takes awhile but I like it. My current project is a Confederate piece in battlefield condition.I just take my time and gently hand rub.An old friend calls this fondling.I hope this approach is old fashioned enough.It has always worked for me.

For long term storage I prefer the Spray On anti rust spray.For all other uses for over forty years I used the old G.I. gun oil. Now I use Three in One oil. It costs less, is easily available, and seems to work the best. :idunno: To be historically correct Sperm Whale oil was considered the best. I used it until the late sixties when they outlawed the sale of any that could not be documented to before 1968. Truth is it wasn't as good as wd 40 as a rust preventive. Dixie sells a jobola bean oil that is very close to the original sperm whale oil. It even smells the same. ( I have a few ounces of the real stuff to compare it too.) :idunno:

"To be historically correct"

Folks are always referring to "To be historically correct"

How many folks wear a wrist watch when shooting?

A wrist watch is not correct.

Yep.

Again period correct along with a chrony to get velocity.

Pick and chose for correctness.

Besides all of that the year 2015 is not period correct either. :rotf:

mtmanjim said:
Besides all of that the year 2015 is not period correct either. :rotf:

I was born in 1959 so I know I'm not period or historically correct. :blah: "LOL"

I was born in 1948 ... I don't know if I am "correct", but I am sure rapidly becoming "historical" !!! :haha:

Or the fact that we're communicating via Internet and drive horseless carriages to our rendezvous :haha:

I hear ya! I was born the following yr after you, but I do use a spit patch most of the time. Cain't git much more PC than that. :grin:

Back