• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not trying to pick a fight...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not trying to pick a fight, :nono: but I just wanted to see how people here feel about "traditional style" rifles, percussion or flintlock, with synthetic stocks? Personally I use one now, because its lighter and if it gets a scratch, I won't feel obligated to strip the finish and redo it. But I won't stoop to using a modern inline. :curse: :shake:

Just :m2c:

Not trying to pick a fight, :nono: but I just wanted to see how people here feel about "traditional style" rifles, percussion or flintlock, with synthetic stocks?

I wouldn't mind having one to use as a loaner rifle...

:hmm:

Don't see the point. Modern is modern and traditional is traditional and never the twain should meet. I have a Choate FN-FAL synthetic stock on my 11-87 shotgun with a full rifled Hastings barrel and Williams sights. That's the gun I grab when I want to deer hunt with a modern gun.

The only reason I use a flintlock or a percussion is because I want to replicate the equipment of my ancestors. Mixing modern and primative is anachronistic. (A fun word. Use it three times today and it's yours forever). ::

PS ~ So what's wrong with a scratched rifle? That's like a fencing scar. A badge of distinction and honor.

Playing devil's advocate, I have to ask is your barrel and stock furniture made the same way, and of the same material, as the guns of those honored ancestors? Isn't that anachronistic?

BTW, I use the word often, I love the SCA [Society of Creative Anachronism]

Maybe I am trying to pick a fight and just don't realize it???

I have to tell you, the last deer I killed was really impressed with the carving I did behind the cheekpiece. I'm sure the last one you kill was equally offended by your plastic stock. Or in other words..... what Claude said.

SP

I use them all the time with the Scouts. Sidelock percussion CVA Bobcats. Got them at the right price, and I like the weight factor for the younger kids to be able to handle easily. It's also nice when some poor kid gets the bejeebers scared outta him from the BOOM and drops it- don't have to worry about dinging up a nice bit of wood.

Also nice is the price difference- $50 for the plastic stocks vs $more-than-double for wood. Simple Economics. "My" rifles get beat up, used, abused, and loved for 6 to 8 weeks, then get put up in a barn for the rest of the year. Plastic just plain hold up better under these conditions.

To answer the next question... why not just use the inlines I have also?... I like the more traditional style because it gives them a chance to learn some of the history and get a feel for the differences in modern rimfires and percussion sidelocks.

Besides, I can't use the old lock, stock, barrel joke with inlines.

vic

Personally, I like the look of wood. synthetic may be more durable, but I'll stick to wood. :m2c:

I have to ask is your barrel and stock furniture made the same way, and of the same material, as the guns of those honored ancestors?

Let me check. Humm, hummm, hmm hmm. Yep. Wood and metal. That's the good stuff. :redthumb:

Is it made the same way? I suppose so, but you'll have to check with the manufacturer on the wood: only God can make a tree.

The metal? Iron & carbon, both formed in the centers of fusion powered suns in the eons of ancient space, recently combined by the efforts of man but not materially changed save for the matrix it is moulded into, with carbon trapped in the iron gridwork. Yep. Same stuff.

Ok, Ok...what is an anchorism...anactorism...apterrism....assamutism...what the hell did you call that????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The plastic stock jobs...well, they're made of plastic,just about all the same, dull, boring,aint nuthin' to em'.

:eek:!!! :shake: BUT,BUT,BUT! That is just me. I would encourage anyboby to shoot or buy anything that would expose them to the joys of shooting BLACK POWDER arms. I agree with Musketman, A loaner! :hmm: I get more joy(almost)out of showing and helping someone than anything else. :: God knows we need to now, more ever in the past. :( Plus, I ain't to comfortable lettin some new guy go messin with my SUPER CUSTOM,SUPER EXPENCIVE shootin iorns :eek: Also giving it further thought, were talkin about guns at the bottom price range, I'm sure the the synthic stocks will function mo better mechanically than a haphazardly made ill fitting wood stock. I just wonder how many have been turned away from traditional muzzleloaders because of poorly made guns :m2c: :thumbsup:

I'm start'n to git real "leery" of answer'n such questions, 'cause sure as tha world,.... some inline'er is gonna claim I'm a "PETA member" (or, sumpthin as equaly rediculous as thet)!!

....so, I'll jest claim to be "blind", which means,..... I cain't "hear" the question!! :shocking: :haha: :haha:

YMHS
rollingb

Not trying to pick a fight, :nono: but I just wanted to see how people here feel about "traditional style" rifles, percussion or flintlock, with synthetic stocks? YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW HOW I FEEL??? :curse:
I'd rather have a sister in a cat house than a brother that has a so called traditional style with a synthetic stock or inline...nuff said :redthumb:

Not trying to pick a fight, :nono: but I just wanted to see how people here feel about "traditional style" rifles, percussion or flintlock, with synthetic stocks? YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW HOW I FEEL??? :curse:
I'd rather have a sister in a cat house than a brother that has a so called traditional style with a synthetic stock or inline...nuff said :redthumb:

For my muzzleloading, I prefer the following:
Real wood
Real steel
Real flints
Real blackpowder
Real patches
Real lead
Real bucks layin' in the leaves
:redthumb:

If you like it that's all that's required. I prefer blued steel and walnut on modern rifles and browned steel and maple on my frontstuffers. I also prefer my bows without training wheels and fly rods made of bamboo fished with a silk line, (altho I do own a couple graphit rods). Who can account for taste?

Vic

Blahman - in case your serious about that word - and assuming you don't have a dictionary:
A-NACH-RO-NISM - "the representation of something as existing or occurring at other than its proper time; anything that is or seems to be out of its proper place in history."
In other words, it's a 21st century person pretending to be a person who lived many years or even centuries ago.
But, who would ever do a thing like that? :haha:
So for something to be anachronistic means it's "out of place" - it don't belong there - according to somebody.
:results:

Not trying to pick a fight, :nono: but I just wanted to see how people here feel about "traditional style" rifles, percussion or flintlock, with synthetic stocks? Personally I use one now, because its lighter and if it gets a scratch, I won't feel obligated to strip the finish and redo it. But I won't stoop to using a modern inline. :curse: :shake:

I agree with Claude, it's your rifle...

Latest posts

Back