• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not trying to pick a fight...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:imo: If I was starting out, a synthetic stock muzzleloader would be better than NO muzzleloader at all...

I feel it may be a good kids gun too, we all know how hard they are on things...

Sorry bout that I just got caught up in the moment!not directed towards you.

Smokeydays

Thanks,... I was afear'd ya might be take'n a shot at tha "messenger" or sumpthin!! :haha: :thumbsup:

YMHS
rollingb

There's two ways to deal with an uninformed newbie, one is to enlighten him and make him aware of the errors with tact and education, the other way is to piss him off and lose him forever to the Dark Side of pa pa pa plastic, and inlinies. You're the one who makes the person's decision with your actions :imo: :m2c:

Bill,
You are absolutely right! We should always strive for perfection and total accuracy, but realize we won't always get there. that's why I strive to follow the spirit of the laws. There is always so much room for improvement in everything we do. Sure I could dump my non-period stuff like my blue chip enamel, my boxes with brass plated hardware, half the untensils I fill those boxes with, and I could change out my TC coil spring lock to a v-spring lock.
As long as the person is always striving to perfect his gear and at least follow the spirit of the rules (unless its a juried event), I can overlook a lot of small details.

Besides most officials at rondys overlook those kind of items and there are always accepted items at most rondys that are not and never have been correct. No I don't include inlines in that category of being correct!

As to sidelock plastic stocks, they certainly would not be my first choice or second or third. But they do offer someone who wants to try the sport without investing a large amount of cash in it. I honestly don't know anyone who owns one and has kept it as his primary rifle. I believe anybody who stays with BP will upgrade their rifle as soon as financially possible.

Sorry Bill I just seem to keep running off at the mouth...eh fingers!

Smokeydays

Bill,

I respect your comments, and agree with trying to enlighten the newbie. I don't think anyone would disagree with that!

On the other hand the newbie must be willing to conform to the rules just as everyone else has done in the group, and yes it may take awhile. If they show a desire to be part of what a particular group is about, and are making an effort, there is no problem. Everyone is happy. No matter how long it may take the newbie to get where they are comfortable with themselve and the group, all is good!

If the newbie does not want to make an attempt at what the group is about, the group is better off without the newbie, and the group has not lost a thing, and they should not feel that they have. :peace:

Smokeydays, and Old Charlie,.... Why are yore posts addressed to me, I'm not the one thet makes the "rules" pretain'n to various events, and I agree with much of what you say????

Rolingb wasn't aimed at you. Just happend to be where I klicked to reply.

I am begining to feel the same TML. I was excited about gitting the Bobcat for christmas and have been lookin for a club in the area to shoot with others. But it looks like if I find a club I wont be allowed to shoot because my rifle has a synthitic stock :boohoo: Guess I'll have to be satisfied with shooting in the backyard till I git the money to buy a wood stock.

IronMan

Ironman, and any in the closet Bobcat lovers take heart. I was just cruising the web and found this photograph of a gentleman who seems quite happy with his little Bobcat.

http://www.cva.com/den/boar.htm

200lb pig using a CVA Bobcat. The hunt is the fun. Making meat, that's the prize.

Just :m2c:

My fingers get tired from talkin a lot too! When I first decided to get into all this I started surfing the web to find out about when & where there were events. I found a web-ring and a site call "Long-Shot's Rendezvous" or something similar. He had a section devoted to the newbie and it gave the best advice I ever heard- "Read about and research what you want to do before you buy a lot of useless stuff." (or something to that effect). I've been following that advice ever since. That doesn't mean I don't tote around some useless and questionably correct things,- especially old cast-iron cookware! You'd think the weight alone would teach me!
I think teaching kids and flatlanders is one of the most enjoyable parts of reenacting. I started volunteering at a local 1880's farm so I could learn a little about blacksmithing. It's great to see how excited kids can get when they see you make something simple like an S hook. A lot of people ask about volunteering when they see you make something, but almost none follow through. I think visitors to a Rondy are pretty similar- they're interested to some extent or they wouldn't be there, but most don't get involved. If ya wanna get involved there are some guidelines to follow or it's just another campground.

By the way, exactly what is an in-line? Pardon my ignorance, but I see the term and I'm not quite sure what it means.
Bill :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back