• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Notch in hammer cup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antelope Pete

40 Cal
Reaction score
So I was looking at some original Lemans at the Museum Of the Fur Trade in Chadron and I have always thought the notch at the front of the cup in the hammer was to be able to more easily take out the cap after firing. I noticed that there seemed to less wood damage to the guns with the notch in the hammer cup and it got me to wondering if the notch is to allow the cap flame to divert up and away from the wood. Any thoughts or knowledge on this? My gun doesn't have the notch and it was getting some serious burns on the wood so I went to a flash cup.

All good answers above..
I always wondered who did it 1st?
I do believe the shooter can tell/feel the difference with & without.

IMG_1121.jpeg

So I was looking at some original Lemans at the Museum Of the Fur Trade in Chadron and I have always thought the notch at the front of the cup in the hammer was to be able to more easily take out the cap after firing. I noticed that there seemed to less wood damage to the guns with the notch in the hammer cup and it got me to wondering if the notch is to allow the cap flame to divert up and away from the wood. Any thoughts or knowledge on this? My gun doesn't have the notch and it was getting some serious burns on the wood so I went to a flash cup.
That is what I have always thought the notch was for.

Latest posts

Back