• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NWTG Barrel Length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Innawoodsman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm building a Northwest Trade gun soon and was wondering will I get much more velocity and accuracy out of a 42'' vs 36'' and would the extra 6'' of barrel affect handling much. It will be use mostly for deer , squirrel , and rabbit but will see the occasional duck/pheasant hunt.

I have had 36 and 42 inch barrels on smoothbore of a similar style and found no difference in performance or handleing I get along fine with a 44" barrel in thick brush and cover I just alter my carry method and general way of hunting a bit to be more comfortable, I would not be afraid/hesitant to use the longer barrel and have seen very few who have regretted the choice to go with a longer barrel a few but not many at all really.

Something to consider, if you even care, is the time period your leaning toward. The earlier guns had barrel lengths from 42-48". The later you go the more the trend tended towards the shorter barrels. 30-36" was common. If your historical concerns aren't part of the equation, then i agree with the other respondent, I'll always lean toward longer, it's just cooler. Currently I'm collecting parts for a 48" smooth rifle, like I said, longer is cooler.

Innawoodsman said:
Hello, I'm building a Northwest Trade gun soon and was wondering will I get much more velocity and accuracy out of a 42'' vs 36'' and would the extra 6'' of barrel affect handling much. It will be use mostly for deer , squirrel , and rabbit but will see the occasional duck/pheasant hunt.

I have carried long barreled ml rifles and my Brown Bess in our thick Ozark woods with no difficulty.
Any increase in velocity would be so negligible as to be insignificant.

Back