• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Observations at the NMLRA fall championships

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dixie:
I can understand how one can become burned out after 14 years but here is something to think about.

The Bevel Brothers covered many issues during that period and everyone I know who ever read their articles enjoyed them. Many times folks even learned something from them. That's why their articles are often mentioned or quoted as being a source of information about so many different things.

Muzzleloading by its very nature hasn't changed much in 150 years.
Because it hasn't changed, questions made 14 years ago are as pertinent today as they were back then.

With this in mind, perhaps the NMLRA could negotiate a new deal with the Bevel Brothers to republish their old articles, starting with their first and working up thru their last?

Because the articles were once published I would think a fair payment to the authors for the right to republish them would be quite a bit less which would save Muzzle Blasts a bit on costs.
I seriously doubt that the Bevel Brothers would object to a fair increase in their day to day pocket money.

If this could be worked out it would potentially give Muzzle Blasts 14 years of articles and give many NMLRA members some good informative reading.

I bet even many of us "old" members wouldn't mind seeing articles which were written 14 years ago. Hell, most of us wouldn't remember reading them back then anyway so it would be almost like new information to us. :grin:

Of course, in fairness to the age of the articles and their pre-published status the name of the articles would have to be changed from the old, "Stump the Experts" to something newer. Something that would send a unwritten message that new questions are not desired.

Something like, "Recalling Old Questions" ?

Sorry, Zonie, but reprinting articles in the magazine will not do much.
Important information needs to be accessible through the NMLRA website( like a wikepedia of muzzleloading). Just think about how many new shooters are asking questions here (which were probably answered about 500 times already), but they have a hard time using the search function or to use it.
We need to have a database of information through the website, linked to visual information on youtube or whatever video site.
Did you see Don Brutons video, where he has a teaser on youtube? This kind of information is what really needs to get out there.
Bench shooting is a very different thing than shooting more historically correct/primitive and loading from the pouch. How to articles with sizable patterns and descriptions of what and why!! are also detrimental.I am also on several traditional archery boards. The how-to's and build-alongs are always great. This site is good on this also, but people need to get an idea what is out there. I was a few times at the Friendship shoot, making a fool of myself. Now, I am persistent in trial and error, but a lot of people are not so prone to failure or embarressment...

@dixie: Did the NMLRA ever run a hunting education course on the premises?
I am an hunting safety instructor also. We always show our traditional weapons at the courses and you should see the eyes of the kids/youth...

Wholeheartedly agree internet is not used by NMLRA to its current potential I'm not the only one aware of this problem. Yes we do hunter ed classes I believe there was one the week after the fall shoot. Directors and officers contact info is inM.B. and i think on website. Will pass on all info you give me but would also suggest contacting your officers and telling them whats on your mind. THIS IS A MEMBER DRIVEN ASSOCIATION
but it works only if those in "charge" hear from the membership.

What I need to know is who dixie and tecum-tha actually are. I hate internet handles, you never know who youare talking to.

Click on their names and see their profiles. Dixie lists his real name and Tecum-tha lists his first name and last initial

I just did that and discovered that one of Dixie's barrels are going on my next rifle. :bow:

I have read with interest the conversation back and forth about NMLRA. I did join back in the 80's but it was short lived as work, family and distance seemed to outweigh the benefits. That being said, I enjoy shooting black powder. I hunt and compete. I posted a topic recently
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/261461/
about a club in North Texas with pictures of folks at the match and pretty much got slammed because the shooters there seemed to have brought everything to the match including the proverbial "kitchen sink". The fact is that there are young folks there shooting. The very thing that is needed to make sure the sport continues even after we are gone. My kids and grandkids(7) all shoot and have shot black powder. Will they continue after I am gone? I can't answer that but hope they will. I have exposed them to the sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
dixie said:
Sorry to disappoint but I was begining my term when they RETIRED and there was no discussion concerning the Bevel brothers at any board meeting!! As the minutes of board meetings are avalable to all members shouldn't be to hard to proof this. One of them was asked to continue writing on his own if both would not and he chose not to.

When a board enters "executive session" the proceedings and discussion are not recorded. Happens all the time. Don't know about this case, but don't assume the minutes follow the meeting 100% for any organization governed by a board or council.

"Friendship is the home to the NMLRA and the location of our national shoots as members we should take pride in it as such wether or not we currently have the opportunity to go there or not!!"

I'm sorry, but even as a current member, I have a hard time buying this statement. Friendship means nothing to me, living on the East Coast. It actually grates on me to hear the emphasis on one site from a supposedly national organization. I happen to like many of the articles in Muzzle Blasts, but as it now stands, for me the NMLRA is largely a magazine subscription with the occasional point of contact with some nice folks like Jim Fulmer. I really wish there were more to it than that.

In rebuttal, so is the NRA and my other question is, What can be done to MAKE it better?
What ideas to make it more attractive to the others out there?
A west coast office/branch?

Like Dixie said, Ideas, I live here in Indiana and there is NO state BP association. I have tried to get one started but people here think, the NMLRA is here so do we really need one?

Cheers, DonK

colmoultrie said:
"Friendship is the home to the NMLRA and the location of our national shoots as members we should take pride in it as such wether or not we currently have the opportunity to go there or not!!"

I'm sorry, but even as a current member, I have a hard time buying this statement. Friendship means nothing to me, living on the East Coast. It actually grates on me to hear the emphasis on one site from a supposedly national organization. I happen to like many of the articles in Muzzle Blasts, but as it now stands, for me the NMLRA is largely a magazine subscription with the occasional point of contact with some nice folks like Jim Fulmer. I really wish there were more to it than that.
There is as much to NMLRA as you wish to put into it! Territorial matches, Charter clubs who I'm sure would love to have you participate etc.
I don't get the problem with Friendship it is and
and has been almost since the start the home of NMLRA avaliable to any member to use.The NRA makes no apologies for holding its matches at Camp Perry every year they annouce the dates and you are welcome if you can make it!
It would be wonderful if NMLRA could have a home range in everyones backyard but I don't see the funds in this years budget!! So we need to make use of what we have. We currently have people who plan their vacations around the shoots and travel from as far as Alaska to enjoy what is offered, I truly am sorry if you are unable to make it because it is well worth the effort!!

Stumpkiller said:
dixie said:
Sorry to disappoint but I was begining my term when they RETIRED and there was no discussion concerning the Bevel brothers at any board meeting!! As the minutes of board meetings are avalable to all members shouldn't be to hard to proof this. One of them was asked to continue writing on his own if both would not and he chose not to.

When a board enters "executive session" the proceedings and discussion are not recorded. Happens all the time. Don't know about this case, but don't assume the minutes follow the meeting 100% for any organization governed by a board or council.

You are correct, that is why I called Joel and asked him why he and his brother quit writeing.
As mentioned in previous post they were burned -out and have a standing invitation to write articles if and when the urge hits them.

I have not been a member for many years ansd will not be in the future I find nothing of interest for myself and the ploitics and some executive choices dealing with some very contraversial topics that went against the grain for many members and resulted in many members leaving and for hgood reason in my view and these issue will not be resolved as they are ta the core of what the org stands for and there is a feeling of betrayal and it is a just feeling, no amopunt of spin or Bs will change what has happened and to, those lost will likley stay that way, I hope the org works out as it seems to offer something to some but will never offer anything again to others not much more to say and any defenbsive spin tactica willbe a waste of time, the org should focus on keeping what it has left it is not likley that all those of a like mind will be swayed as they have been around long enough to know the score, I will not waste anymore of anyomes time or bandwith on this as it is not something that can be negotiated and result in converts, from what I saw the fledgling TMA was a far better choice for those into the historical aspect of the game, again, I will waste no more of anyones time on my views on this.

I hate the reply thing lol.. this is to all that say everything sucks.. First off no I am not a member, don't care about magazines because I don't read them never have. I am talking about any magazine.. Must be some weird kind of phobia :idunno: :haha:

My reply is not only about the NMLRA but any organization that requires members..

How many of you that do not like the magazine contribute to it?? Submit articles or questions?? Want to inspire better hunting stories start writing them and submitting them. Have questions submit them.. the editors can not read minds.

Don't like how an organization is run?? Then do not be a member, or be a member and do something. These type organizations are not always "what do I get out of it?" Sometimes its "what can I do to improve it?"

The more you do to help the better it can and will be.

Now for all of you that are not members like myself, really have no right and no say. You want changes become an active member. Sitting and complaining will not accomplish a thing. :v

For anyone that says I was a member but they made me mad.. next time fight harder.

I was a very active member for many years. Then dropped out because I no longer felt a connection with the association. While a member I did try to contribute. I wrote many articles, was a Field Rep., started 16 charter clubs, taught basic ml and safety, etc. I'm back and happy to be even though attending Friendship is not in my budget. :( I even wrote an article for the mag. last year. May get involved in bringing territorial(s) to this part of the country again. Sure can't help improve things by standing outside crying to those inside.

One last point..I would dissagree a bit Roy, as sometimes one feels a thing is not worth fighting for and has every right to express that opinion, particulary if they did not bring up the topic but are responding to a request for opinions about said topic.it is hardly represntitive of reality if only the positive side is heard in any story, and to often there is a lot of BS about how hard the NMLRA works to keep our gun rights and get ML hunting seasons, when in fcat they have no lobbying status and when that is mentioned then the story changes to the lobbying and such is from the sister org the NRA ...which would throw the Ml's under the buss in a heart beat if it would help their agenda, I really do not see why this org is even allowed to be a topic on traditional ML forums, it kind of smells the place up a tad.

NMLRA is a 501c3 non profit org. as is the NRA so they cannot legally lobby EXCEPT for core issues such as black powder and lead for projectiles etc.In I believe 1975 when congress was leaning towards requiring tagenents in all black powder the NMLRA was instrumental in stopping this from happening, currently we are involved with the other gun owners groups in testifing against the U.N. treaty on small arms.Also will and have gotten involved in muzzleloading hunting issues in where we could be of assistance. Don't know what specifically your problem with NMLRA is but would appreciate it if you would tell me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,give me a break. I want to keep this discussion objective. This is about the Association and not about if they allow inlines (which you'll hardly ever see in Friendship anyways.)
In my opening post I stated, that if this topic is not wanted to please erase it. Moderators moved it, but did not erase.
Yes, the TMA is there, and they're probably a nice outfit. But they probably face the same problem of having too many old folks and hardly any young ones. They have no infrastructure to maintain and thus can be solely web and postal based. But out of the 2015 registered members on the Forum, how many are really members of the TMA?
And this discussion is not here to convert anyone.Anyone is free to choose what he wants to do.
This is about opinions from members and non-members. So please state your opinion whatever it is in clear words. No hearsay, or "they pi..ed me off" please.
If possible, we want to stay with:
whom
what
why
when
How

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back