• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Observations at the NMLRA fall championships

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your point #4 about a reduced membership fee is good, I rarely read stuff sent in the mail, but read what I want on-line . . .

When I re-new for the NRA I tell them to keep their magazine, spend the money on more important things!

I'd do the same thing here if that was an option . . .

I don't mind that NMLRA is not politically active, I have Second Amendment Foundation (SAF), and Gun Owner's of America (GOA) for that . . . NRA too, but the other two seem to turn up the heat!

I joined up last night, because it seemed like the right thing to do, I may never make it to Friendship, even though it does sound fun . . . I only live 200 miles from Phoenix . . .

I began my muzzleloading experience involved in primitive matches and activities with an atitude toward "paper punching" similar to yours but when I got invoved with a local club and gave it a try I found it was a much bigger challenge than I had ever found shoooting anything else,frustrating at times but definitly not boring!!
The matches on the offhand line are shot with flintlock and percussion guns , only difference is the sights are adjustable (another learning experience) THERE IS ONLY ONE MATCH IN THE ENTIRE OFFHAND PROGRAM THAT ALLOWS INLINES TO BE USED it is shot by competitors who are shooting other matches with side hammer flint and perc. that also own an inline.It is also shot and often won with real muzzleloaders. If you have specific ideas for matches I and the directers would be interested in hearing them, keep in mind it has to be cost effective, safe beyond question and appeal to a large group.
All members please contact your officers and directers with suggestions we do not have all the answers!!

Shot Friendship in 83&84.A great experience.Been away from black powder for years.Glad to see this discussion.My local club has dropped the black powder shoots from our schedule.Need to find a way to involve people that do not know their SSN.

I'm a NMLRA member and will continue to be as long as i can afford the dues.I like the Muzzle Blast mag. and look forward to getting it ever month. :thumbsup: Like others have said if i don't find intrest in the articles i don't read them. I just made my 3rd trip to Friendship for this Fall shoot. I have not shot in any matches as of yet,and don't know that i ever will. I do plan to attend Friendship again if i'm still alive and kicking. I enjoy just looking at all the guns and equipment on the range and along Traders Row.It gives me a chance to pick up a few items i need as well. I was telling my wife there seemed to be more people there this Fall than any of the other times we had been there. We were there for the first Saturday and it was packed. I saw alot of younger couples there ,to me that means they have an interest, :idunno: I think the decline in Membership & getting younger people started shooting is in part due to the economy. I know alot of people that don't fish & hunt as much as they did just because they can't afford the extra money it takes for the gas. :shake:

Yes, I am a member. After shooting cowboy action for 9 years I found that the "cowboy friendly" had gone out of it. When recoil pistons in shotgun stocks and plastic molds in holsters have become "SASS legal" just because they can't be seen by casual inspection, I see no connection with the old west or any reason to continue participating in the sport. I feel that allowing inlines will lead NMLRA down the same path and even writing about them being used for hunting is a waste of paper. I bought a muzzle loader 15 years ago but I didn't even know about NMLRA until a few years ago. Back then I didn't know about reenactment, treking or any of the other aspects of the sport but am slowly putting together my outfit and gear to participate and even went to my first rendezvous this year which I enjoyed very much. I will renew my membership in NMLRA.

The Bevel Brothers retired a few months ago and they are greatly missed.
They were actually run off by the board because they were too "controversial" :youcrazy:
I went to F-ship from 1980 through about 2004 or so. I went as a primitive shooter and a skeet shooter. Then I went for probably 8 years as a vendor on commercial row.
I don't shootcompetitively any more, no time. I don't hold a booth down there any more, no sales.The entire time I went there I found it to be extreamly expensive. I don't know how a young family could afford to go, which I think is the main problem. TOO DAMNED EXPENSIVE!
The magazine absolutely sucks. :barf:

I've been a member off and on, but now mostly off. Living as I do about 80 miles from the Pacific Ocean, there's virtually no chance I would ever travel 2,000 miles to hot, humid Indiana to shoot muzzleloaders at a place where even the diehards admit attendance and energy are dwindling.
And I found the magazine mostly boring -- not nearly as lifeless as the ASSRA magazine for example, but not nearly as interesting as the much-missed Blackpowder Hunting, or the late, great Dixie Blackpowder Annual.
So then the question becomes, why am I sending these folks a check?
I get lots more information about the MLs I love right here, for free.

BILL....I am offended...humid...here...in Indiana??? Shirley you jest.. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

As a side note. True it is expensive and sometimes getting a 'cheap' inline may be the only route to take. I started out with a T/C 'Hawken and now have upgraded. I am also learning to build rifles too.

The observation on the magazine is it needs more articles. Too many ads and too much for the matches. It is nice to have your name in it but for most people (no offence) is wasted space.

As to getting people involved, need to start by having a younger perspective in the magazine too. From a teen persons view. and hold events for them. Have classes for them that they will find interesting. There is nothing available.

TEACHING them is the key. Word of mouth (kids talk to each other). A class on how to make a horn for younglings and they WILL tell their friends.

Dixie, Thank you for being on the board, Thankless but is appreciated. Got some great ideas. Come to the Living Histroy show in Noblesville IN this Feb. and we will talk more if you can. Bob should be there too (usually is)

Cheers, DonK

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Brooks said:
They were actually run off by the board because they were too "controversial" :youcrazy:

If this is true the board did a major diss-service to the membership IMHO. The Bevel Brothers articles were one of my favorite parts of the magazine.

Jethro224 said:
Mike Brooks said:

If this is true the board did a major diss-service to the membership IMHO. The Bevel Brothers articles were one of my favorite parts of the magazine.
I know the Bevels personally and got the word directly from them. Most times that was the only article I read, then threw the magazine in the garbage. :shake:

Sorry to disappoint but I was begining my term when they RETIRED and there was no discussion concerning the Bevel brothers at any board meeting!! As the minutes of board meetings are avalable to all members shouldn't be to hard to proof this. One of them was asked to continue writing on his own if both would not and he chose not to.

dixie said:
Sorry to disappoint but I was begining my term when they RETIRED and there was no discussion concerning the Bevel brothers at any board meeting!! As the minutes of board meetings are avalable to all members shouldn't be to hard to proof this. One of them was asked to continue writing on his own if both would not and he chose not to.
Wel, That wasn't how I heard it from them. Might have come down from the office.....

Those reenactment matches do not have to be dangerous. The Fort Greenville match has some "historical" incorrect features as well, which are there to adress safety. I was a german army officer and had to train our draftees, who mostly never held a gun before in their hand. But after a few month of service, they were already being trained in combat related scenario shoots. First defense (which is more stationary), but not much later reconnaissance team and even infantry attack scenarios on the platoon level.
Like I stated at the meeting, you don't get people from the Wii/X-box generation out without a certain amount of action involved.
Medics "Patriot" match sounds great. I have contacts (submitted also to Mike Yazel) where to aquire those special targets at a very low price.
The cheapest ones I've seen commercially made are $1300 a piece. My source can make them for $500 a piece. If we can do some things ourselves, the price can be lowered further.
I guess a good start would be 4 Targets, programs can be put onto the controller unit via USB.
This is enough to run a "blockhouse family defense" match. We can then aquire more later with a percentage of the match fee.
Any takers?

By loading only when the shooter is in position behind the tree/s the Patriot Match would be no more dangerous than the Seneca Run.

thanks fellas, i thought it was a good idea, i was watching the patriot at work the other night when that scene came up i thought "huh, that'd be a fun match." i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who thinks so.

jethro, loading behind the tree was exactly how i pictured it working. then popping out to shoot the target, then skeddadle over to the next tree with a discharged piece, then repeat. all about speed and accuracy, smooth or rifle, flint only.

i'll even sketch out a course of fire and draw up rules to submit to the board if dixie thinks they'd be interested.

this one is to dixie, since you are on the board, would you mind sharing with us what the plans are to encourage younger shooters, i.e. 20,30, 40 year olds.

Thanks for the feedback, this is fantastic!!
The biggest change we need to incorporate to attract younger members is to use the internet to its fullest potential! We also need to find ways to help local clubs get involved and increase participation to help bring people of all ages into the NMLRA thru local activities. Unfortunatly I know this does'nt sound like a comprehensive "plan" but I do believe we have to work from local level up. Also do not believe there is a magic bullit to get young people away from computers and games and actually paricipating in activities without someone taking them by the hand and leading them out the door, which is difficult to do on a national level. Anyone who wishes to contact me thru PT or e-mail is welcome to do so!!

medic302 said:
i'll even sketch out a course of fire and draw up rules to submit to the board if dixie thinks they'd be interested.
All ideas and suggestions are welcome and will be brought to board for discussion.

Mike Brooks said:
dixie said:
Wel, That wasn't how I heard it from them. Might have come down from the office.....
Spoke to Joel this afternoon and he assured me that their retirement was entirely voluntary and not influenced by Board or office just burned out after 14 years.

Back