• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Odd powder drum threads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm replacing a corroded powder drum on a .45 rifle barrel, manufactured for a kit in the 1960s or 70s. The only markings are "Spain" and a six digit serial number. I have a some new drums from ToW of various sizes (including a CVA drum), but nothing matches what came out of this barrel. I've measured the original several times, and it looks like it needs 3/8-20 threads. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Am I going to need to fabricate a replacement from scratch?

As it’s a Spanish gun the threads will, almost certainly be Metric.
3/8 , 20 is a BSF size
IMG_2893.jpeg

10-1.25 metric seems too large. See comparison to the original in the center.

View attachment 351934

10-1.25 metric seems too large. See comparison to the original in the center.
From looking at your picture the thread pitch of the original drum looks close to the pitch of the M10x1.25. If the gun was mine, I'd tap the barrel for the M10x1.25. Before I would do that I would measure the pitch with a pitch gauge to actually find out what the original is. Metric pitch gauges are cheap. Amazon has pitch gauges for under $10 and M10x1.25 HSS taps for under $10 also.

I'm replacing a corroded powder drum on a .45 rifle barrel, manufactured for a kit in the 1960s or 70s. The only markings are "Spain" and a six digit serial number. I have a some new drums from ToW of various sizes (including a CVA drum), but nothing matches what came out of this barrel. I've measured the original several times, and it looks like it needs 3/8-20 threads. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Am I going to need to fabricate a replacement from scratch?
At this point it could be anything. It could have been re tapped since manufacture.

Maybe just try threading In various bolts till you find a fit. My hardware store doesn't bat an eye at me taking a gun barrel into the store but check first with them. Then you will have all the possible sizes at your disposal.

Also consider that you may be able to drill and tap for an existing drum for a fit.

Back