• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oh, Come On With the Inflated Caps!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not tested the RWS standard caps but my experience with both my side hammer pistols is that I get slow ignition and lots of hang fires with CCI standard caps and T7 3f the standard caps work great in My revolvers. CCI magnums and RWS plus give me good ignition in my side hammer pistols. Probably a non issue with real BP.

So I have both RWS and the RWS Plus. I've found no real difference honestly. Both are excellent, reliable, and noticeably louder than standard caps. Yeah the Plus are probably a little hotter but the regulars work just as good for me.

I only use them with my rifles, the CCI get used for my revolvers. Since the flash hole is directly in line with the chamber there's no need to use a magnum cap.
Posted this on another thread, but it might apply here.

Did an un-scientific test years ago with various caps by measuring the distance each cap would launch a light piece of plastic (some would call it a sabot) out of a barrel. The 1075+ showed significant more power and consistency than the 1075 and other caps. Although I have and use other caps, the 1075+ has been my choice since.

As a note, I personally only use blackpowder unless I am experimenting at the range, but if I were shooting a sub that requires more heat to light up than blackpowder, I would want the strongest cap I could obtain. My simple testing suggested the 1075+ would be the best choice. Unfortunately, you may not have a choice in the caps and powder you can obtain.

I only use real black, with these sites having free hazmat, it's a no brainer these days. Powder is easy to come by, caps...not so much. Fortunately I'm am good on cci standard and magnum. I just buy either interchangeable. I've not experienced any problems some that some alude to with cci. I've had very good luck.

I only use real black, with these sites having free hazmat, it's a no brainer these days. Powder is easy to come by, caps...not so much. Fortunately I'm am good on cci standard and magnum. I just buy either interchangeable. I've not experienced any problems some that some alude to with cci. I've had very good luck.
Ditto on the CCI reliability. I've been shooting them, and leaving the Remingtons sit. No issues in the last couple of years.

I only use real black, with these sites having free hazmat, it's a no brainer these days. Powder is easy to come by, caps...not so much.
Let’s not forget our friends at certain outposts such as those in Alaska with extreme difficulty get supplies like blackpowder and percussion caps. They have to use what they can obtain. That ‘no brainer’ isn’t always a ‘no brainer’.

The 3d printed caps are the future and it is here now.
Literally eliminates cap jams on their own and can be done at home by anyone with a printer or you can buy some on amazon now.
Significantly better than metallic caps.
I just looked them up, that seems the way to go for revolvers for sure. They explode on detonation and eliminate cap jams, wow. Would like to give them a try

I do want a stash of remington 10s but I've only ever had 1 tin. I just started about 4 years ago and that's right when they started to disappear online.
I have maybe 5 green tins of #10's, and one older white tin. Have a bunch of #11 Remingtons. I got a bunch of CCI's when I got back heavy into BP.

Let’s not forget our friends at certain outposts such as those in Alaska with extreme difficulty get supplies like blackpowder and percussion caps. They have to use what they can obtain. That ‘no brainer’ isn’t always a ‘no brainer’.
I can't speak for them, but statistics that's less than 2% of shooters in the US, so it's still a no brainer for the rest of
Us

There is 50 states
So the percentage of shooters are evenly distributed across all 50 states? Do you have an actual source showing that the number of shooters are evenly distributed across the 50 states? Another question for you. By county, what are the percentage of shooters across North Carolina? There 100 counties in North Carolina. Does mean each county has 1% of the shooters across the state, no more, no less?

So the percentage of shooters are evenly distributed across all 50 states? Do you have an actual source showing that the number of shooters are evenly distributed across the 50 states? Another question for you. By county, what are the percentage of shooters across North Carolina? There 100 counties in North Carolina. Does mean each county has 1% of the shooters across the state, no more, no less?
Ok after some research they have less than 1 percent of shooters. There population is the second lowest un the country at 732,673 and only 38.5% gun ownership that's 282,079 so statistcly they are gonna be less than 1% of shooters in the us now go find some blackpowder numbers I stand by what I said. Very small numbers

That's a large percentage of "their" population is shooters but the Alaska population is so low, second to Delaware that the percentage of shooters is much lower than 1% compared to the rest of the country

Ok after some research they have less than 1 percent of shooters. There population is the second lowest un the country at 732,673 and only 38.5% gun ownership that's 282,079 so statistcly they are gonna be less than 1% of shooters in the us
So yes, the "no brainer" was for the other 99 point some percent of us
Ok, that makes sense. With that little percentage of the US population and shooters and gun owners in Alaska I guess they don’t matter per your logic.

I see you are from the NC Triad area. Very few gun owners percentage wise in that area than across the rest of North Carolina. Guess that means you shouldn’t be allowed to get guns or shooting supplies there and the rest of the shooters/gun owners across the US shouldn’t care or be concerned. No brainer, the rest of the shooters have their stuff and shouldn’t be concerned or worry about you, to use your own words. Have a good day.

Ok, that makes sense. With that little percentage of the US population and shooters and gun owners in Alaska I guess they don’t matter per your logic.

I see you are from the NC Triad area. Very few gun owners percentage wise in that area than across the rest of North Carolina. Guess that means you shouldn’t be allowed to get guns or shooting supplies there and the rest of the shooters/gun owners across the US shouldn’t care or be concerned. No brainer, the rest of the shooters have their stuff and shouldn’t be concerned or worry about you, to use your own words. Have a good day.
Someone's panties in a bunch. You are the one who wanted to argue about percentages. There are few black powder supplies here lically so thats why i said with todays free hazmat its a no brainer. We do have maik here anyway.I am only a man but I will now start protesting for the Alaskan shooters. If you live in far out places there are pros and cons. According to you they can't get supplies. Mail doesn't work there. For the rest of us who live in mainland US it's a no brainer. Sorry, not sorry.

I just looked them up, that seems the way to go for revolvers for sure. They explode on detonation and eliminate cap jams, wow. Would like to give them a try
014 (2).jpg

They look like this after firing.

Someone comes up with the paperwork to produce these charged they are gonna do well I suspect.

Just wondering...why hasn't any of the major reloading companies produce a cap making machine? How much would you pay for one? Or, your local gun range, club or group of similar minded shooters. Think you could get your money back on the purchase price? You betcha!

Back