• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OK, got a flinter. Now what?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mufb

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought this flintlock from an older gentleman. Always shot caplock, so I need direction. It's a .50 T/C Renegade. He's 74 and says he bought it about 30 yrs ago. It's in great shape. Tells me he always shot 3fff in it and that he primed the pan with same. Says he would pour the load, thump the butt on the ground, and then ram the ball. Then says he would use a pick on the vent hole to clear it and load the pan to below the vent hole and then tip it to the right to keep the powder on the outside of the pan. That sound right? By the way, when he shot it two weeks ago, he got 2 inch groups at 75yds. Not bad for older eyes. What else do I need? Two Hearts.

sounds like maybe a place and time to go shoot it is all you need...

have fun

rayb

Lots of 3F, plenty of lead, and a few spare flints (Knapped Black English flints are great.) As for the vent pick you can make do with a piece of wire, a paper clip, or buy one if you prefer.

Since you've shot a percussion you should probably have just about anything else you'll need.

sounds like you are all set. where abouts in wi are you located? do you do the rendezvous at baraboo over labor day? just curious.
pieman

About halfway between Madison and Janesville. Didn't know about the Labor day one, but I will certainly try.

If your rifle is like my .50 caliber T/C Hawkins, 90 grains of 3f and a patched roundball. What fun. Also does it have the old style hammer? Thompson Center updated mine and it is a great shooter. I never thought I would like shooting a rifle as much as I do a flintlock.... They really make it fun...

Good luck with your new rifle...

I've got the same model Renegade that you have - got mine used about 5 years ago to hunt the PA late season. I use Hornady roundballs, Thompson bore-butter patches with 75 gr. Goex FFF. I can hit an 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper offhand at 100 yards, and have shot a deer every season with it.
The Thompson Flints make good spark. I've only had a few misfires, mostly on rainy days. I'm sure you'll be as happy with yours as I am with mine.

Since I'm left-handed, I've been tempted to trade it for a Lyman leftie. But since it performs so well, I hate to make the change.

Jimbo

Two Hearts,

Toss a small dovetail file in your shooting box to knapp the flint with when it starts to get dull. When the rifle is empty, put the cock on full cock and tap lightly downward along the front edge of the flint with an edge of the file. Use a nail set to tighten the jaws of the cock.

Old Salt

Bevel up or bevel down?

What else do I need?

A patient, tolerant wife and a steady stream of roses.

Oh sure, it starts innocently enough, but then...You start off with a good second hand TC flinter that you picked up for a song. suddenly the trusy old cap gun is sitting in the closet more and more, and then suddenly you find yourself looking longingly at Buck's County rifles and North West Trade Guns. You start asking all the wrong questions..."where do I get one, what's the best one"....

Next thing you know, you've got a good used smoothbore and your rifles are sitting in the closet next to each other, waiting to be sold for parts for that fusil de chasse kit.

Then come small game season you're out bounding through the woods in skins and linens, bagging game with your shoothie just to show the moderns that it can be done. You're sneaking up on hikers just to mess with them.

Get used to "the look" when you walk in the door after a week or so on the trail, bag of bloody game over your shoulder, you smiling and stinking up the house. It's not the "why did I marry you" that she'll have. No, it's the "oh my god, what is in the bag this time" look.

So, what do you need to get fully into flinting? Oh brother, you need a support group. Luckily you have one here!

and don't forget to put some money aside for flowers....big ones....often

Next thing you know, you've got a good used smoothbore and your rifles are sitting in the closet next to each other, waiting to be sold for parts for that fusil de chasse kit.

:hatsoff:

Keep one rifle, though. There will be times when you actually want to hit something at a distance or eat rabbit without biting down on pellets. :crackup:

Everyone needs a twisty AND a smoothie.

LongsufferinWife - I checked out your profile. You poor, poor woman.

Hang around and don't believe all SB says about us. :front:

So do we call her Stumblin' Bufflerette? :crackup:

Just kidding. It's a pleasure to have you. Please stay around and tell us funny stories about your husband. :RO:

"Please stay around and tell us funny stories about your husband.

Yea, i want to hear the story behind the Frankenstein Platapus hat of his. ::

"Yea, i want to hear the story behind the Frankenstein Platapus hat of his. :: [/quote]

Hey, Hey, hey, hey , hey ... watch those hat jokes!
Stumblin does have a funny lookin' cover though!

Finnwolf

I can't beleive that you guys are turning this into an excuse to get on my hat again....

:eek:ff: :blah:

Mostly Longsuffering just asks that I not wear Skank out hunting, camping...or anywhere in public...

SB

Back