• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

July 4 is National Sidewalk Egg Frying Day!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome Ohio weather tonight with zero wind. Took the best of two bench targets.

Attachments

• 20240718_221328.jpg
    20240718_221328.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240718_213635.jpg
    20240718_213635.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Where did you git the Dupont liquid silicone?
This dry bike chain lube with the super slick Teflon may develop to be my secret mix. I really like the dry lubes but they tend to be expensive. You can get a small bottle of this brand at Walmart to try.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240719-094750.png
    Screenshot_20240719-094750.png
    319.3 KB · Views: 0
I returned from the range less than 1 hour ago after shooting 2 targets for this month's frolic.I know I printed 3 , but wouldn't you know it, two were stuck together and thus limited me to 10 shots: bummer!

Although I have 2 entries, I won't enter them for record as I used an unmentionable rifle to shoot them. You may remember a few months ago I had a devil of a time with it in that I adjusted the receiver sight the wrong way and used most of my RB's trying to get it sighted back in. To make matters worse, the fiber optic front sight insert, i.e., the fiber optic itself, fell apart leaving me pretty much without a functional front sight.

Today, I got the yen to check it out with a new fiber optic sight, home cast .490" RB's (.492" in fact) with .014" patches. The powder was GOEX FFg, which it likes, to the tune of 45 and 50 gr. The patch lube wasn't silicon, but 1 Ballistol : 6 water. The results were encouraging to say the least, but not admissible here.

A final word: Fast twist bbl.'s work well enough with patch RB's (Mine's a 1:28 Green Mt.), but powder charge and granulation can be limiting factors. My 50gr. FFg charge was about as high as I would go for RB shooting in such a bbl. Btw, the targets are shown in reverse order. The one marked 20 used 45 gr., but the tighter grouping one, marked 15 used 50 gr. and was shot second.

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpeg
    IMG_0218.jpeg
    817.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0217.jpeg
    IMG_0217.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back