• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

July 4 is National Sidewalk Egg Frying Day!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got out to the range today to shoot a new to me Ruger Old Army that I recently bought. Shot a couple of rounds to adjust the sights and then shot the frying pan target - I like this new pistol! Going to try to get out tomorrow and shoot a rifle.

July 2024 Completed Handgun Target-2.jpgJuly 2024 Completed HandgunTarget.jpg

Group check out your local Walmart! Purchased a 1000 caps and other muzzleloading supplies tonight.
BLESS YOU SIR !!! I try to check on Walmart on a fairly regular basis but have not had any luck finding caps for well over a year. You reminded me that it is that magic time of year when they tend to show up if you are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

Lo and behold when I checked at my local Walmart this evening after work they had 10 tins hanging on the pegs, I almost didn't believe my eyes. I grabbed some and left some for the next guys.

Again thanks for the reminder, I lost track that we were in prime cap hunting season, check your local Walmarts people!

This dry bike chain lube with the super slick Teflon may develop to be my secret mix. I really like the dry lubes but they tend to be expensive. You can get a small bottle of this brand at Walmart to try.
That's a great idea. I never thought to use chain lube. If memory serves, with that kind of lubricant you really have to shake up that stuff up good to mix the dry bits with the fluid.

Had a chance to shoot the rifle on Sunday. Score is 15. Not a good score and I can't think of a good excuse. But any day at the range is a good day.

Nessmuk with a flintlock parts gun.
.45 cal. .440 RB with .020 patch
Goex 3F powder 40 Gr.
ballistol and water lube

Attachments

• DSCN1406.JPG
    DSCN1406.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
As nessmuk said, it was a day at the range even with a not so good score for me. This time, I used a "proper" revolver @ 15 yd. off hand. The one I'm submitting scored 24 its, but the other two were far worse. Next month I'm going back to a rifle!

Edit: The gun is a Ruger Old Army with adjustable sights. The charge was 30gr. GOEX FFg + a lubed felt wad + a .457" RB cast from a Lee Precision mould. Caps were Win. Mag. #11's. Btw, the gun has Slix Shot nipples, which has transformed it into a 100% reliable shooter. Unfortunately, they didn't do the same for my aim! The targets were fired off hand @ 15 yd. Lastly, I have a Ruger BH and Super BH and there's little difference in how any of them feel in my hand except the ROA recoils the least.

Attachments

• IMG_0222.jpeg
    IMG_0222.jpeg
    832 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
As nessmuk said, it was a day at the range even with a not so good score for me. This time, I used a "proper" revolver @ 15 yd. off hand. The one I'm submitting scored 24 its, but the other two were far worse. Next month I'm going back to a rifle!
Thanks Maven - please fill out the information as printed on the target so we know what equipment is being used.

shot my favorite SMR .45 today
put a patch on the back of the yolk to define the holes and think its 3 in the yolk and 2 in the pan.
whatever it was a pleasure to drag my carcass out and breath some smoke!
will let you, Gary, decide if i scored it right.
Nice shooting deerstalkert! I would also score that as a 36 - glad you enjoyed shooting at it:thumb:

that is a tough one Gary. that yolk is the same size as a stickem bulls eye. those are tough for me too!
guess i could have laid one of those stickem's on the front, making it easier to see if half the ball was in the yolk.
regardless, it was fun shooting. really slowed down shooting after my heart turned on me last month.
There you go! lets have a target of a heart. then we sufferers can get some payback!

Thanks for posting and hope you had fun with this target!
Great target! Decided to shoot offhand to practice more! The pistol shooting is more of a challenge and seems like I still haven't been able to make that mountain pistol group as well as I would like to. But always a good day to make smoke on the range.

Latest posts

Back