• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Eyes GPR hunting settup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppro

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I need to set up the sight system on my 54 GPR (will be using round ball/100 to 120 FF chg.)

Am now using tri-focal glasses and figuring out a semi good combination for field hunting only, with the RS57 GPR Lyman sight system seems like a possibility.

Question: for you old guys with TRI-FOCALS, and for hunting, what combination seems to be working best for you with the Lyman RS 57, (on the Great Plains Rifle)or....did you get away from that system completely ?

I will have to order in the parts so trying out different combinations is not really a the smartest way to go (you invariably end up with a bunch of parts you won't use).

What do you suggest here.

thanks

I have been using a device called the Hawkeye Shooting Aid. It is an apeture that attachs to the lens with a suction cup. You then view through the apeture, which can be pivoted out of the way. I have been using it so as to keep the rifle period correct for matches.

For once I've lucked out, I'm nearsighted so my bifocals are sufficient. I just leave out the reading segment, and take my glasses off to read a book. The middle distance segment is set for the distance of my computer screen, and I can accomodate the front sight with an aperature type rear. ::

I need glasses to read, my far sight is good. I put the 57 sights on, the globe one, with inserts, That setup helped me alot, I just focus on the front sight, and dont think about the rear, it kinda just falls in place for me somehow.

I used to shoot handgun Silhouette with the suction cup eyeglass lens attachment and for that, before bifocals, it worked pretty well.

It does seem, that the mid range of the bifocals would work for the sights......just hard to align. I did try using the mid range of the bifocal setting as a lens in the shooting eye, and put distance in the other eye lens...that works sort of, but it's hard to do and it shifts the poi around when you change focus to the distance lens from the mid range setting for the shooting eye.

Mostly, I was wondering which diaopters front and rear might work, and....if you can use the front post as is, or do you need to change to a globe settup and if so....which settup for diaopters etc.

Golden years ?....yah right...(or something to that effect.)

regards

Paul

I have the 57 with globe on a cimmaron hawkin and use it for target work it's a great shooter. Now if I was only going to use a gun for hunting I would not put a globe on the front just a post or bead, whatever you are used to. The globe covers up to much of the target in low light conditions and thick cover to be pratical for hunting :imo: I also would try to find a cheaper peep if pratical as a hunting gun will usually be sighted in at one distance and left there. A target gun may have the sights changed for each distance and each different type of target this is when you need the #57 sites. The 57 is large and catches on lots of clothing and vines when carried in the field. I would look for a more compact peep for a hunting rifle.
Good luck Fox

My eyes are the same close distance need glasses,distance no problems.I set up on my flinters a t/c hunterpeep and a front fiber optic sight ,they work excellent.I also hunt with this set-up at dusk I will remove the peep and used the rear sight as a ghost ring.
I like the t/c hunter peep compared to the lyman rear peep only because it seem a lot less in size.

Wearing an iris eyepiece may be great for a range but when hunting, I feel it's a big disadvantage. Before cataract surgery, I used to look for a buckhorn rear sight and a beaded front sight combination. The buckhorn I used was, I guess extreme, but had a nearly complete ring formed by the "horns." This gives somewhat the effect of a peep or ghost ring and provided sufficient additional depth of field to the intermediate lens on my tri-focals to give me a fairly clear sight picture. Now I use a mild distance correction for shooting made by my shooting opthamologist and it's like being re-born. :m2c:

Hey Paul
I made a pair of shooting glasses. I uesed a pair of plastic safty glasses covered the right eye with duct tape but before I did that I held the my rifle in the shooting posirion and had a greese pensile and marked the spot where I look. I then drilled the spot covered with duct tape and there you are an apature for any gun you have.and cheep. 1/8 hole works good
looks funny but works great.
Bearbeater :D :peace: :thumbsup: :front:

Bearbeater

Thats quite the idea ! Never yeard of a settup like that before. I have a few pairs of glasses around that I could try that on.

What size hole did you put in the lens?

Paul

Silverfox

You make some very good points about use of the 57 sight in the field. It seems what ever can go wrong will... snagging and banging about is something I hadn't thought about. I guess you would also have to consider taking care not to bump it and all.

Your probably right.....

thanks Silverfox...I think you saved me from myself :)

I will have to re-think this some.

Paul

lonewolf5347
I did the same with mine, optic it front and peep in the rear, I drilled my peep out 4 times, 4 sizes bigger then stock, I even put a optic V in the middle, where the stock rear sight goes, My eyes just ain't that good any more,, I can tell you who is ridin a horse a mile away, but don't give me something to read, it ain't gonna happen with out glasses, The stores gonna hafta make their readin glasses stands taller,, I'm on the top shelf now (250) But with my setup, I can still shoot purty darn good, Gettin old sucks,, but it's the best of the two,,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/drop-em2.jpg

I have the lyman 57 peep sight on my GPR . I drug it through the woods last year with no problem. I found it to be pretty rugged. It made a world of difference for these old eyes. I'll be 67 in Feb. I know they are not PC but at least I can still shoot!
Old Charlie

Pasquinel,

I'm 57 and wear bifocals. I'm shooting a TC Renegade flinter with the original sights (notched rear, blade front). I have trouble getting everything lined up and in focus and would like to find different sights that will fit in the same dovetails. I've been thinking of combining a full or semi Buckhorn with a fiberoptic front bead. From what I've read, the rear sight can be blurry and the bead in focus. The eye is supposed to automatically find the center of the buckhorn. Did it work for you before your surgery?

My other option would be to get a Ghost Ring like they used on Marlin lever actions, but that would have to be mounted forther rearward than the original notched sight.

Jimbo

Sounds like the 57 may be tough enough for hunting. On the topic of rear diopters, and opening them up, it makes sense to open the hole. I have noticed that a larger on the hole helps with my older eyes and I have another gun that has a ghost ring, and I can see it very well by comparison to anything else and consequently, shoot it pretty well.

One of the after market ghost ring sights that is tough and adjustable is the MOJO sight (made up in North Idaho), but I will have to look again at it and see if it is adaptable to the application. The one I have is all steel and nice.

Sound like the 57 rear diopter could then be opened up to get enough light through for old eyes, almost on the order of the ghost ring setup given the distance from that eye that the disk actually is.....does that sound about right?

Paul

Back