• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Mule

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, I am an old hunter who has killed his fair share of game. Maybe 40 or more deer all with modern rifles. OK got me a TC Hawken 50 cal cap lock haven't shot it yet. Doing all my home work first. It is for deer season next year so I have time to get right. That is the only rifle I will use next year. I will be 65 next year so I figure I am old enough to shoot a mans rifle so I am going to give it a years try to see if I like it. Any way glad to be on board here and hope to learn what I need to be successful. Little nervous about loading "Muggahead" that's the name I give her I am not sure about how tight to push the PRB up against the powder.

I have been shooting a Remington 788 in 308 for 47 years and it is about time I give her a break. Already took two deer this year and decided to call it quits until next year. I talk too much so I will shut up and let some one else talk. Thanks for listening.
Old Mule

Welcome to the gang. It's always to get new 'converts'! First, it's important the patched ball be solidly against the powder since an air gap can give a spike in pressure. Probably not fatal but can bulge the barrel. Just be sure the ball is against the powder but don't batter the ball with the ramrod, you don't want to damage the ball to the point it's flight characteristics are altered. You'll get the feel of it with practice. Again, welcome, ask all the questions you want.

Ole Mule: Welcome!

Regarding ball against the powder...the ball needs to be seated on the powder...how hard is probably a subject for debate and I'm sure that someone on here has done experiments, so post the question and see what comes out. I have read that some believe for flinters it's best to lightly seat the ball to provide more oxygen to the charge for the burn while seating a bit more firmly with percussion is desireable. I would bet that no matter how you do it, consistency in how YOU do it is probably the most important. Experiment and see what works best for you.

Welcome! "Mr Ole mule!"
Did the same thing you did only 15 years sooner...Gotta warn ya.!!!

Once you get the ball rolling pretty soon you'll be doing some reserch and all of a sudden there' a flintlock in your hands.

I warned Ya!

Take your time... shoot the devil out of your rifle and it will be most rewarding!
My first buck with bp was quite the thrill....
Have since gone with bp on all game feathered and furred.
Load slow...aim small....shoot small......

don't be affraid to use the "personal message" pt if you have questions you don't care to ask on a forum here.

keep your caps and powder dry...don't forget to snap 2 caps to clear the vent before loading.

a clean rifle is a happy rifle...bore condition is everything.

keep us posted on your new journey....I wish I would have done this 20 years sooner.

Keep it fun.....dan

Welcome Ole Mule! :hatsoff:
Like spikehorn said, consistency is the key.
I would start out with 50 gr. of powder, .015 patch and .490 rb.
When you seat the ball on the powder for the first time, mark your ram rod at the top of the barrel with a pencil. so on your second load (as long as your powder charge is the same) when you seat the ball, your pencil mark should at the same place as your first load. by marking your ram rod, you will know that your properly seating your ball every time. Just remember if you adjust your charge, re mark your ramrod. You will soon find out how addicting this muzzleloading sport is. Good luck and have fun. :thumbsup:
RD

OK got me a TC Hawken 50 cal cap lock haven't shot it yet Opps on the barrel it says 45.

welcome! is it a 50 or a 45, really don't matter all that much,(Depending on the use) both are a lot of fun to shoot. :hatsoff:

Back