• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old New Guy or New Old Guy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayBear

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'll post from time to time under the name of GrayBear. I'm a long time hunter of anything edible and a spincasting lightline trout fisherman. I'm pretty new to muzzleloading, about four or five years, so you will hear mostly questions.

I'm 72, will turn 73 before the year is over, and so I have to learn fast. I've hunted all up and down the west coast, Alaska (before it became a state) to Mexico, plus Arizona, Vermont and Texas.

Wish I'd discovered muzzleloading sooner. So far my equipment, mostly CVA, isn't fancy but punches holes in the paper and gets game. I'm shopping for fancier stuff but traditional muzzleloading is pretty low key here in the Central California Sierra Foothills.

be talking at you!

GrayBear

Sounds like you could give us some advice. Welcome aboard. Where abouts you from exactly? I grew up in Fresno, spent some good days runnin' around those golden foothills.

Welcome!

I am a big fan of 2lb test and a 1-1/2" Mr. Twister Teeny-tail with a micro-light spinning rod and reel. (I've gotten too lazy to tie my own flies & fly fish anymore).

Muzzleloading and fishing - the secrets to happiness on earth.

Howdy, Graybear.
I reckon I fit into that "old-new" or "new-old" category you refer to since I found this Forum just about a month ago and sure glad I did! Just kinda listenin' myself and, you know, these youngsters are pretty smart.

Would like to know what "weepons" you shoot now and what "fancy" ones you're fixin' to acquire? And I know what you mean about havin' to learn fast. And you have to remember too, or they'll accuse you of "having a senior moment"
Mugwump

Hello GrayBear, so glad you found us...

I see you share the name of another GrayBear...
graybear.gif

Welcome to the camp Graybear. I think you will find that most of these YOUNGSTERS are pretty good people. I've been at this sport a bit longer than you, since '72, but still have a lot to learn.I too enjoy ML'er hunting and also fly fishing and ultra light spincast fishing. So, pull up a Stump, pour yerself some coffee and sit a spell and yarn with us.

Thanks for the welcome. As for my beginner's hardware I'm shooting a percussion CVA Bobcat .50, and a CVA 12 gauge. There's also an H&A .50 single shot pistol from a kit and a Baby Remington 5-shot .31. All have been family gifts after I started looking for a new hobby.

Low cost or not, they all shoot well. I've worked out target and field loads. I've learned a lot, pretty much on my owwn and by asking uncountable questions. BP and especially traditional guns aren't big here. No big special seasons, what they do have is at the wrong times so I just hunt with BP in the regular season.

I've started looking for a .50 rifle and a 12 or 20 gauge smoothbore, both in full wood 'cause everybody out here has Hawkins with the short forearm and lots of brass, so I want something different, but that's just me.

Still got to learn what I really want, I guess, as for maker and such. At this point I'd prefer caplocks but there may be a flinter in the future.

Hey, the coffee's good and black, the stump's comfortable, too. I'll be around for a while!

GrayBear

Glad to have you at the camp! Post often, ask anything you like. There is a wealth of information here and a ton of really good people.

and a ton of really good people.

That accounts for for Zonie and Stumpkiller... :haha:

Just kidding, please feel free to ask of us anything you like, we will do our best to find the answers for you and anyone who needs help...

Back