• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opening day

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well opening weekend has come and gone it was bitter sweet we try one more day tomorrow and that will make my whole black powder season with work and taking son back Florida so you can leave out. Happy hunting and GOD bless all of you

I absolutely HATE to lose a deer. For 15 years I didn't have to worry because my little Boykin found every wounded one. She even managed to finish one off by drowning it in a swamp before I got there.

Unfortunately, she passed on this last April. They just don't live long enough and leave their owners sad. 😢

I absolutely HATE to lose a deer. For 15 years I didn't have to worry because my little Boykin found every wounded one. She even managed to finish one off by drowning it in a swamp before I got there.

Unfortunately, she passed on this last April. They just don't live long enough and leave their owners sad. 😢
True and after a good one they are hard to replace as far as in the field

Last evening hunt of our season together this is a view from the buddy stand we share .... We pray for the safety for all the other hunters this year and the best season yet for all of you

Attachments

• IMG_20211108_125946.jpg
    IMG_20211108_125946.jpg
    171.3 KB
  • IMG_20211108_125955.jpg
    IMG_20211108_125955.jpg
    191.7 KB
  • IMG_20211108_130002.jpg
    IMG_20211108_130002.jpg
    236.2 KB
Well our season ended with seeing a bobcat but no deer this afternoon... the little 3 day hunt had it's ups and downs we my son came away with a nice buck... I lost one had my chance .... But the memories will last a lifetime God bless and stay safe

Cool temperatures are the best. If it is cool you can let the meat naturally age. The
natural enzymes will tenderize the meat. Venison can be a tough cut unless properly
aged. I see so many guys just cut off the hindquarters and proof of sex/rack , after field dressing ,
and leave the rest for scavengers. Just irresponsible and causing the loss of great eating.
If you are not lazy and follow through with a few extra steps you will benefit at the table.

I agree William! Just the simple act of aging will make a world of difference in the quality of your meat, both in flavor and texture, A refrigerator will do if you are in a warm spell. Google aging deer meat, its is well worth the effort.
Robby

Congrats to your son. A great sendoff to have that special memory together. :thumb:

About 30 years ago I shot at a deer with my bow as it was closing in on the end of shooting time. A small unseen twig deflected the arrow back into the hind quarters. There was snow on the ground. For about the first 50 to 75 yards we had a trail like a lung hit. I was sure I had hit the femoral and the deer would be "just ahead." The trail went from heavy to virtually nothing in an instant after we found a large clot....just like you described, a drop here and there after that. We were mostly following by tracks. We followed it until it went into a State Game Refuge where we needed to notify the local warden before entering. Since it was cold, we stopped tracking until morning. The next morning the warden and I went in and followed up. We ended up kicking it up out of it's bed. It had a slight limp on the one hind quarter and there was just a couple drops of blood in the bed. It ran off at high speed and did not stop as far as we could watch it.

Your blood looks too bright red to me to be liver, which is usually dark. I'm just guessing that you had some kind of meat hit, perhaps even arterial. With all the searching you did, and no evidence of a gut hit, it was probably a wound that the deer is recovering from somewhere. Sleep well...you did everything you could to find it.

Back