• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

opinions of best twist rate for 45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have learned (which isn't much) a slower twist rate is preferred for round ball. A faster twist is wanted for conical. 1:48 is the happy medium that doesn't excel with either, but shoots both with acceptable accuracy.

I personally have a 45 with 1:66 twist that shoots round ball very well. But I have also found a 160 grain conical that does well out of it due to it being short (.450) in length giving it the approximate dimensions of a round ball.

Hope this helps.

i had read that 1-48 came along when TC rifles came along. they used it to stabilize conical bullets. and from what i also read the RB will stabilize pretty good with just about ant twist,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

With a.450" cal., it depends on what kind of bullets you expect to use, a twist rate of 1/66 is very good with the patched round balls and at the opposite, a 1:48" twist rate is inferior when using long or ogival bullets. From 1:66" (for me the best or no far) to 1,48" the best is to use patched round balls, and with long/ogival bullets, you better do with a 1:20" and perhaps shorter...

Back