• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

opinions of best twist rate for 45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have learned (which isn't much) a slower twist rate is preferred for round ball. A faster twist is wanted for conical. 1:48 is the happy medium that doesn't excel with either, but shoots both with acceptable accuracy.

I personally have a 45 with 1:66 twist that shoots round ball very well. But I have also found a 160 grain conical that does well out of it due to it being short (.450) in length giving it the approximate dimensions of a round ball.

Hope this helps.

i had read that 1-48 came along when TC rifles came along. they used it to stabilize conical bullets. and from what i also read the RB will stabilize pretty good with just about ant twist,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

With a.450" cal., it depends on what kind of bullets you expect to use, a twist rate of 1/66 is very good with the patched round balls and at the opposite, a 1:48" twist rate is inferior when using long or ogival bullets. From 1:66" (for me the best or no far) to 1,48" the best is to use patched round balls, and with long/ogival bullets, you better do with a 1:20" and perhaps shorter...

I won’t offer an opinion but will add an observation. The original Hawken rifles in all calibers have been measured to have 1 in 48” rifling. These rifles were highly thought of in their day. Depth and form of rifling should be considered as well as twist.

i have saw twist rates up and down the scale. from 1-48 to 1-72 i know the 1-48 is fairly standard now days. what do you think of a 1-72 for round ball in 45?
I think it would work just fine. Especially with those SC deer loads.

I shoot a lot with a 1:48 45 cal and accuracy is excellent. I nearly always shoot 45 gr 3f but have shot 50 gr a few times. It's a small game and target rifle so I've never gone to hotter loads.

There's a whole lot of "conventional wisdom" about twist, caliber etc., but don't let yourself get caught up in rules without testing the limits.

The slower twists will require more powder to get the spin needed to stabilize the ball. Twists of 1 in 40 to 1 in 66 are good. Perhaps more important than twist rate is the depth of the rifling. The round ball requires sufficient depth of rifling for the patch to properly engage the ball and the rifling. I have a very accurate 45 caliber rifle with a twist rate of 1 in 56 and about a depth of rifling of 0.010". The lands should be narrower than the grooves. So, it's not just the twist.

Back