• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions on Middlesex Trading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muskeg Stomper said:
Just so you are aware...it's my understanding that none of the common production guns are proofed. That includes Lyman, TC, CVA, Traditions, etc.
That is true, but what concerns me about these importers is that I don't know how concerned the manufacturers are about the safety of the product. does the importer know, exactly, what these muskets are comprised of?
I have the image of a small manufacturer, up against a deadline, who decides to use whatever tubing is available to protect his bottom line.
I'd feel better if there was a bit more transparancy. Take early rustic arms for example. this fellow uses hydraulic tubing for his barrels, he doesn't hide the fact, and his business didn't suffer for the disclosure.

I own two of MVTC pistols and a Colonial Fowler (bought second hand). I agree with others here. You have to view these as kit guns. But with a little work, most seem satisfied. I did find MVTC customer service to be good. It's always been a mystery to me why there is so much excess wood on all of their guns?? You would think this would have been solved with the prototypes. Been looking for a Doglock Blunderbuss second hand or someone that will trade me for a Colonial Fowler. But no luck so far. Guess I'll have to buy a new one.

The Italian and Spanish guns are proofed or they don't leave their respective countries. Firearms made in the U.S.A. are built to safe standards to avoid lawsuits if for no other reason. The India built stuff varies wildly in quality and is not proofed. There appears to be no set standard for the types of metals used but hopefully it will be some form of steel at least. When someone builds a gun and ships it halfway around the world and still can sell it for half what a similar Italian gun costs, compromises must be made and quality is bound to be the first thing to take a hit. Caveat emptor should uppermost in the prospective purchaser's mind when thinking of buying one of these guns.

Ok...

What do people want here?

Do I own custom muzzleloaders? Yes! 3 flinters and one matchlock.

Can you buy much nicer custom made firearms?

You bet!

BUT MTC and Loyalist Arms imports solid guns for the money.

I have no qualms about shooting firearms from either importer live fire.

None.

I've been shooting BP for 37 years now and have worked in the firearms trade in the past of 9 years of my life.

If you want to worry about the lack of proofing from a MTC and Loyalist Arms import, no problem...

just buy a CVA instead :slap:

Oh, and yes my doglock is stout... just right for breaking heads on the quarter deck before drawing my cutlass after that first shot...

David Teague said:
Oh, and yes my doglock is stout... just right for breaking heads on the quarter deck before drawing my cutlass after that first shot...

Probably safer than trying to fire a second shot.... :rotf:
Sorry David, I just couldn't resist the urge! :v

Russ T Frizzen said:
Probably safer than trying to fire a second shot.... :rotf:
Sorry David, I just couldn't resist the urge! :v
The urge to discount the last 37 years of my experience because you don't agree with me?

:shake:

David Teague said:
and yes my doglock is stout... just right for breaking heads on the quarter deck before drawing my cutlass after that first shot...
Ah! I can almost smell the salty sea air and hear the creak o' wood beneath my feet! :hatsoff:

Having sailed as crew on 2 schooners and a brig, I say a day at sea under sail is better than a day anywhere else doing anything else! With the possible exception of hunting alone far from civilization.

You know this same question comes around about every 3 or 4 months on 1 board or the other. I have 4 MVT muskets New England fowler, Brass barrel blunderbuss, a double barrel pistol, and an early Kentland pistol. I have sold about 15 of their muskets. We have no problems firing or anything. If you real get down to it these are more like an 18th century weapon than some of the custom guns. The barrel and lock are hand forged. They are a little clunkey but I have not paid 1500+ for any of them. I do have 2 American made semi-custom muskets and a custom pistol and they all get shot. Pete and Wendy are very easy to deal with and straight up.
my 2 cent
Ronnie

Thanks for all the feedback! Sorry for the late reply but I've just got over some health issues that put me out of pocket for awhile.

All your opinions have been especially helpful. I purchased a "Cookson" New England fowler from Middlesex but seems there are considerable craftsmanship problems with it, much like others reported in earlier posts. Rather than going into details right now, I'll find out how MTC responds and will report back asap. I've read good and bad about them and don't want to judge until I experience myself. Hopefully they will be fair and responsive. This is the first I've ever dealt with them.
BTW, just how accurate is the doglock hammer for early 1800's? Was it really that common? And when did it stop being manufactured? I may sound naive but I can find very little reading on it. -Don

I bought a Longland Bess from them and other than dulling down the metal work and refinishing the stock I think it's a great gun.. It sparks and shoots well. The biggest issue was hand fitting the bayonet for a tight fit. I would def buy from them again !
Kration

I have one of their Murdoch pistols and a 1717 French musket.They both took a little work to smooth out the trigger pull and I also casinited the frizzen on the musket.But for the money I think there great guns.
I got to gabbin on a woods walk and double loaded the musket,charge,ball,charge ball :shake: It rocked my world but it diddnt blow up.

BTW, just how accurate is the doglock hammer for early 1800's? Was it really that common? And when did it stop being manufactured? I may sound naive but I can find very little reading on it.
I'm no expert but the doglock was in common use from the mid-17th century on up into the early 18th century in the colonies. Flintlocks were already in common use but doglocks hung on in the colonies for some time. Your Cookson is a reproduction of a gun assembled in the colonies with re-used parts from earlier guns as was often the case with colonial gunsmiths.

Several months ago, Muzzleblasts magazine featured a doglock gun that was used at either Lexington or Concord during the opening shots of the American Revolution. A doglock can be used to cover a considerable period of time that may fall within the era you choose to focus on.

Just to be clear 17th Century = 1600s. 18th Century = 1700s.

Spudnut,
How do you like their 1717 french army musket? I was looking at that as a replacement if necessary. It does not have a doglock which takes some getting used to. Seems a good choice for F&I reenactments which I plan to enter.
Also, has anyone heard if MTC ever received their shipment of Early Fusil de Chasse smoothbores? (I'm curious about the barrel length, etc)

don1836 said:
Spudnut,
How do you like their 1717 french army musket? I was looking at that as a replacement if necessary. It does not have a doglock which takes some getting used to. Seems a good choice for F&I reenactments which I plan to enter.
Also, has anyone heard if MTC ever received their shipment of Early Fusil de Chasse smoothbores? (I'm curious about the barrel length, etc)
I like it fine but I have found out that particular musket wasnt used in the F&I war,There seems to be no known examples of it being sent to North America the Tulle being the one chosen.It all depends on how authentic you or the unit wants to be.
This gun is shown in the encyclopedia of the American revolution though.Iguess they sent em over then.

I was up there a few weeks ago. The prototype is nice but they were not yet in stock. Give Pete a holler in a couple weeks. I believe he said they would be in in early February.

I knkow this thread is gettin' old but just had to respond. I have the third model Bess and frankly the fit and finish were actually pretty good and the trigger is managable as well. The only complaint on this one is the vent is drilled a little high and very near the front edge of the pan. An extra grain of 4f settles that issue but does add some flash! I bought the double barrel flinter pistol and that is a little crude, but with some shooting and aging it will mellow out fine. I am now waiting for the 1777 French model.

I agree - they are nice folks to deal with. You have to remember that not all originals were built by master crafstman, some of the originals I have seen were quite crude.

Back