• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions on Middlesex Trading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:thumbsup: Hi Kevin. I have been looking really at the Middlesex Trading Sea Service Pistol and the Ship's Carbine. I haven't decided to buy yet, I'm really looking to assemble a kit. Your post is somewhat encouraging as to the quality of the product. The price for both the pistol and carbine is within my range and they would fit my developing persona to a T. OK, everybody, let the flames begin.

Jac S. Muell

I guess the way I look at it, these are reasonably historically accurate. I really don't want to chance damaging an original and these are not 'show' items nor are they target guns. If I rendezvou with the idea of winnig a shooting competition, I have come for the wrong reason. If I want a target rifle, I'll buy one.

My only suggestion is to carry them and shoot them a lot to age 'age' them. I know mountain men took very good care of their longarms, but they were tools and they were used hard. These are very shiny when they come and need some of the shine worked off. I know it's a tough job to go shoot a lot, but hey, I am up to the task!

Howdy!

I have their Brown Bess. I like it. I've heard alot of folks will take off some wood and refinish them to a darker tone. Something to do with the wood in India (teak?)

James

Yes, I have been told they use Teak, the same wood we use for boat trim. Incredibly hard and water resistant. That is also why I think the inletting is not up to American standards - it's more difficult to work with!

I question though, why people who reenact anything want their guns to look 100 years old. When they were new - as they would have been back then - they would have looked new and well finished.

I just got off the phone ordering a 1777 Charleville and a Baker 1812. I will let you know how they are when they arrive.

Kevindj:

I bet you made their day with that double order!

Before I got my Bess from then, I was thinking of ordering the gun that is 72" long. Wonder if anybody has one they would like to talk about?

James

Sham,
I don't own any Middlesex guns but I do have one that has a 72" barrel and is 7'4" overall. It's more difficult transporting the thing than loading and shooting it. It's modeled after a Hudson Valley fowler, in 20ga. We scaled everything to the 20 ga and got the whole thing down to 11 pounds. It shoots real well and certainly attracts attention at the range.
Mark

The Fowler you are thinking of is a Nor'Easter Dog Lock. It's a .69 cal so it would be about a 14 guage. I visited with Pete today at Middlesex and for shooting it would be a hoot, but for reenacting he doubted seriously very many if any made it past the Mississippi. I was very tempted!

Kevindj said:
I question though, why people who reenact anything want their guns to look 100 years old. When they were new - as they would have been back then - they would have looked new and well finished.

To answer that I have the 1717 musket and I sometimes portray a woods runner in about 1815 so that gun would almost be a hundred years old.According to the encyclopedia of the American Revolution these guns were here for that event.

Good point. It is all relative - date of manufacture vs. date of use/reenactment. Off subject but I do some cowboy shooting and when guys show up in their 1875 persona with an 1873 .45lc with the 'antique' finish, I just have to smile. My Middlesex 3rd model Bess is to shiny and I plan to strip the stock and use a darker, oil finsh. I just hope it's not like some modern birch stocks that never take a finish. The only teak I have refished was on my boat and that stained very nicely.

I am blessed, that's for sure. Accumulating firearms is my only real vice. It is probably more of an addiction, but at least I have something to show for it when I wake up. :grin:

would anyone have any opinions on the MVTC double barrle Flintlock fowler, I would like to go see it but I'm wondering if anyone here has seen it in person or heard about it anywhere else, does it spark well, touch hole position, weight?

thank you.

I haven't actually seen one but if they follow true to form you will have to work the triggers and while you're at it go ahead and put a deep case hardening on the frizzens. Their cases' are usually fairly shallow and somewhere between 100-200 shots the case will wear through. I have only seen the pics but those splayed locks are a turn-off for me. A little would have been OK but those appear to be exaggerated.

yeah I'm in a condo I don't have the space to mess with stuff too much :(

okay does anyone kinow who makes another double flinter, nothing too fancy but a good hunter?

You are looking for either a ghost, or the Holy Grail of smoothbore shooting. :surrender: :hmm: :shocked2: :thumbsup:

I don't think there is anything like an inexpensive DB flintlock shotgun made anywhere. I don't think it can be done. The labor and technical problems involved in making such a gun, and then regulating the barrels so they pattern to the same POA is very expensive work to do.

With modern CNC equipment, and computer programs that make every part, its possible to produce such a gun- or at least the parts-- at a much lower cost than ever seen before. However, but the devil is in the putting the parts together, and then regulating those barrels. Robotics can put the parts together, of course, at a cheap cost, but the barrel harmonics of every barrel is individual to that barrel. Even using laser bore sighters to adjust the two barrel to a given POA is only half the battle. Its when each barrel is loaded, and fired that the harmonics come into play. The investment in the high tech equipment would require a substantial retail price, which would take it out of the " inexpensive " range of guns. The higher the cost, the smaller the available market. MLers are not exactly at the top of the market in sales these days. ( In fact, hunting guns in general are not selling well, while Defensive firearms can't be kept in stock, as a result of the current political climate.)

i am sorry I can't raise your hopes on this issue, but you would be standing at the back of a very long line of members here if a DB flintlock shotgun that was " inexpensive" came on the market. :hatsoff:

Tajue17 said:
yeah I'm in a condo I don't have the space to mess with stuff too much :(

okay does anyone kinow who makes another double flinter, nothing too fancy but a good hunter?
I have seen a few shootable originals in the $1800 to $2800 range.

I wouldn't let living in a condo put me off. Since you'll do your shooting at a range or out in the field, you'll figure out there what work you may want to do to tweek the gun to your liking. Send frizzens back to MVTC to be rehardened whenever needed - it's free. If it's lock work to be done, you can probably manage that at the kitchen table. For cosmetic work on the stock or all the steel parts, a folding table or portable workbench in the garage or even out in the driveway always worked fine for me. Your not worried about building a whole shop for a project like this. I live in Alaska and have an unheated garage without electricity. You'd be surprised what you can do in your circumstances.

As Paul and Mike stated, your alternatives are mighty expensive.

Just my 2 cents.

I lived in a little condo apartment in Fla for a while. I kept a folding workmate--one of the old ones--folded up in a tiny storage area, and could unfold it when needed on the tiny screen porch, about the size of a bathroom. Maintained my flintlocks there quite well. Good smoke, Ron in FL

As Paul and Mike stated, your alternatives are mighty expensive.
Actually, I was trying to point out that there are still reasonably priced originals out there if you look around.... :haha:

Latest posts

Back