• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Blunderbuss ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"What we see here is something ranging from ignorance to blatant stupidity "

And then there is this: I was once handed a original Brown Bess that came directly from the Revolution,,, ulp, except it said Pedersoli on the barrel. The owner had no idea that it was a repro. Someone that he trusted had told him it was an original from 1776, he believed it, unforunately I had to be the one to tell him the truth. It was an honest mistake by an honest person who was simply mislead about something that he had no prior knowledge of.

laffindog said:
It was an honest mistake by an honest person who was simply mislead about something that he had no prior knowledge of.
Have had similar things happen to me. Some years ago I worked in one of the larger gun shops in Houston. One day a guy came in and laid a Trapdoor Springfield on the counter and announced it had been at the Battle Of New Orleans...I asked him, "Which one?" He was crushed when I pointed out the 1873 date on the barrel. There may indeed be a gun in his family that was around in 1815, but that one wasn't it. Just an example of how stories can get distorted or swapped to the wrong family treasure.

Back in the 90's I bought a custom left handed poorboy flinter. The day it arrived I took it to the muzzleloading shop that recommended the gunsmith. As we were all oo'n and aw'n over it a guy walked into the shop and ask how old it was. I told him about a week give or take a day. It still had its “new” smell too. After being told I was full of it, the shop owner told him1865 (never mind it has a rock lock). The guy looked and me and said “Though so” and proceeded with his business. I get that “You mean 1890's” when I say 1990's at the range from people I would think know better. Never hear “You mean 1790's”. Maybe I should start wearing a tricorn. :thumbsup:

So when an auction house lists an "antique" firearm as a "Civil War Revolver" they are totally blameless if it's not?? If a car dealer tries to misrepresent the mileage or condition of a car they are liable regardless of what the person told them that traded in the car. Consumer protection laws hold the seller responsible. "That's what the guy said I bought it from" will not hold up legally. Your aurgument would not hold up in a court of law. I suggest review the consumer protection laws of your state.

I slightly mis-spoke. The Auction is over and the high bid was $1,226.00. I have a sneaking suspicion that this gun was purchased by a Dealer who didn't know what he was looking at. Maybe it will show up at one of the local shows in yours or my area? I'll keep an eye out for this one. I'm sure the guy that bought it would be really upset if anyone told him, and would blame it on the Auction and demand a refund.
I once bought a Spanish Miquelet Pistol from a Web-Site. The photos were poor. The guy selling it had the usual statement: "Don't know much about this". He was asking only $300.00. The gun looked really good from the (poor) photos. But something was itching at me about the overall look of the pistol. But the low price made me greedy, and I bought it. Every metal part on the gun, including the barrel, was a CASTING !! :cursing: :( I was so mad at myself. I'm not an expert, but I'm not a novice either. I should have trusted my first instinct. The pistol has to be the best looking, non-firing, display piece I've seen to date. It's worth maybe $100.00. :haha: Oh well. If that's the worst I've been burned. I've been able to pick up many other bargains that more than make up for it. As said above: Education can be expensive.
Rick. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back