• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

original horns with maps.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hi, i was wondering how accurate the maps are on historic horns. any academic work been done on this? now, i'm not suggesting a proper scaled surveyed/measured map useful for navigation or anything.
but, were they purely cosmetic?
roughly correct - as far as the maker knew anyway?
or, was there a period when the maps placed on horns were from accurate paper ones.

really, i'd like to see one that had a map correct for it's area and time.
cheers.

Ft. Ticonderoga has (had?) a display of some knock-your-socks-off campaign horns from the F&I War era. In drooling over them, I would say the maps engraved by soldiers in their spare time are more representative of the order in which geographical features would be found than a true proportional distance at some scale. These were likely done as the units moved from camp-to-camp, or else copied from other copies, etc. for use as SERE maps (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape) in the event the soldier needed to get somewhere in an emergency. These were not men of letters or cartographers. How accurate would a map be that you drew (or scratched in a horn) of your last vacation trip?

There are also some professional hornsmith works that are as accurate as the best maps then available.

Back