• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Our other hobbies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I spend time and money on my blackpowder guns and garb but I have a couple of other hobbies that compete for time, money and my attention span. Model railraod building and my '65 VW Microbus. What are some other hobbies you fine folks delve into? I tend to gravitate towards one of my hobbies for awhile and then to the other in no particular order.

Mine has always pretty much been muzzleloading related. Either shooting, hunting, gun building, buckskinning, book collecting, the study of muzzleloading? It helps when the family is involved with you also.

No... I just can't think of anyother hobbies I have that have spanned over 36 years, and still hold as much interest today as it did when I was 12. That's when it started for me... It's been a learning experience, that's for sure! I wouldn't of missed it for the world! :thumbsup:

We have a 34 ft sailboat, but that's more a summer lifestyle than a hobby. I consider hunting large and small game a lifestyle, too.

R/C airplanes, metal detecting, target (traditional) archery, flyfishing, any other kind of fishing.

This place qualifies as a hobby.

Getting entirely too much experience with home repair and remodeling recently. Stripped two hardwood floors and beginning a third soon. Plastering walls and ceilings. Painting. Plumbing . . . ugh. I don't know if that's a hobby or a affliction.

I turned my computer hobby into a career, now 40+ hours a week is enough of that pasttime. I dearly love mountain biking (and just riding in general) but I find I'm getting a little timid in my old age.
I've loved canoes and Adirondack Guideboats since I was too little to know what a flintlock was. In the last 4 years I've built a canoe and two guideboats. I think I'm satisfied with the results of that hobby. Still love to use them, even put a sail rig on the canoe last summer, great fun! About the only thing left to do with them is to build a genuine Birchbark canoe. Which would of course fit right in with muzzleloading. I've come full circle. I got out of muzzleloading quite a while back (starting a family, career etc). Now I find the interest is back with a vengenance. The kids are just starting to get big enough that hopefully I'll be able to share some of it with them. The wife will never join in that fun though (absolutely despises camping). I'm most attracted to the sport because it gives me a chance to build things, guns, horns, knives etc. I like the self sufficiency of it all.

Dick

would like to see how you set up your sail rig.. Am about to start on a flat bottom canoe, or, Pirogue and have had 'evil' thoughts about sailing on the yellowstone :)got too many other things goin on to mention them all, photography (35mm & med. format) reloading, etc. but it still seems MOST of my hobbies a.k.a. MANIAS somehow connect back to muzzleloading.. :shake:

Flying model rockets and riding motorcycles, although I haven't done the rocket thing for quite a while (no time), and my '88 GSX-R750 is in need of some repairs at the moment, so it's sittin in the garage for now.

I also collect old movies. The older, the better. My favorite types are old war movies, monster movies, and cheesy, campy, cornball sci-fi movies from the '40's and '50's (the cornier, the better). One of my favorites is "Commando Cody: Radar Men From the Moon!", which is a twelve part serial (shown in weekly segments) from 1954. Very cheesy, but a classic of sci-fi TV. I have quite a few silent movies (which my wife hates) from the teens and '20's.

If you ever have a chance to watch the original "All Quiet on the Western Front" from 1930 (not a silent film), watch it. It's available on DVD. One of the best war movies ever made.

I spend alot of time going through antique shops, flea mrkts., yard sales etc. trying to find some elusive item connected to the 1700-1830 period. One of these days, I'm going to happen on an original longrifle in great condition for $100.!!!!!! :) But for now, I pick up old bottles, knives, any nearly anything blackpowder connected. So, I guess I really don't do anything outside of this lifestyle!

a few years ago I built and raced bicycles (mtn. bikes) but at 55, I finally realized my body wasn't as young as my mind told me it was. Prior to that, I restored old English sports cars. Nothing compares to Blackpowder shooting and historical research though. And even when I was pursueing other interest, I still did the blackpowder/ history thing. What a one-diminsional person....no wonder I bore my wife!!!! :shocking:

BadWind;

Try this link: Sail rig
I put the rig on a guideboat first but later moved it over to the canoe. The canoe makes a much better sailboat (read that as faster).

Dick

I pretty much do the mountain man thing as a lifestyle for the last 30 plus years, and am a professional Indian hobbiest. So I don't need to tan hides or do beadwork for sport. I get plenty of that in day to day work. I'm heavily involved in cast bullets in modern bottleneck rifles, and am involved with a working group writing a book on the subject. Shooting is my main hobby, no matter the firearm type, or style of competition, from combat pistol, military rifle, to BPCR, to muzzleloading. I build a few rifles from time to time, from ML's through Mauser sporting rifles. I do the engraving and checkering work, so these projects can fill a month or so in the winter. I do enjoy fishing, or just going out and wandering around in the mountains for a few days at a stretch. I build and play instruments, fiddles and mandolins mostly, and play bluegrass, old time cowboy and country music generally. I have been known to get into some serious acoustic rock and roll and blues with Dr. Mongo and the boys. I'm building an early fretless banjo at the time. I also do oil paintings, mainly native American subjects.

I used to make moonshine for a hobby, but liked that one a little too well....

Well, at a mere 34 years old, I guess I'm sorta still a pup compared to some of ya! ::I guess it shows in some of my other hobbies, which I have displayed in a photographic collage below. :thumbsup:
hobbies.jpg

scale RC,, gun building,,, hunting ,, steelhead fishing , beading , history ,ohhh and wood working

Sitting at the computer finding stuff that leads to other stuff that leads to... well, I suppose it keeps me off the streets, and I get to learn tons of useless and unusual information. Then there's woodturning, general woodwork, Scouts, some leatherworking. The woodturnings are almost all for my own enjoyment, but I do a bunch of things for gifts and thank-you's for the Scouts. Seems the deeper I get and the more I learn about muzzleloading the more I'm making accessories for the rifle or my kit or camp. Oh, and shooting when I get time and funds (at the same time) to hit the ranges.

And in my 'spare' time the house and car repairs, painting, plastering, concrete... just enough to keep a 90+ y/o house upright for another year or two and the honeydew list to a page or three.

vic

J James,
With two kids running around it hard to keep up with to many hobbies. Besides general historic interest, reading and collecting items, that connects to the muzzleloading, other hobbies has to be done at a lower level.
Collecting and reading books regarding Polarexploration history. Kayaking (been doing that in east-Greenland), trekking mountainareas (as north Sweden ,Norway and Spitsbergen). Aikido. Waiting for the kids to grow up and then.....
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

collect cal ripken jr baseball cards and any item assosiated with him. no one elses cards just cal ripken and believe me there are thousands.but the time i spend doing it is very low compared to the time i devote to my B/P interest.
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

Musketeer and I must be the young guys on the block, I too am 34. I quit work 1 1/2 years ago so I could stay home and take care of my daughter. Kinda makes all that college and masters work a little mute now. Anyway, I enjoy organic gardening, ornithology, reading, and bluegrass music. Oh I just recently built a "still" in my basement using a crockpot and a small refrigerator. As long as I don't make over 2 gallons of whiskey a year, I can keep it! The stuff is actually pretty good, but the smell isn't.
I just wish I could ship it overseas.... nixed by the hazardous, explosive, corrosive, or dangerous stipulation on the manifest. Sorry Squire....

moonshine_still_mini.gif

SP

You mean there is something other than muzzlelaoding? your just jokin', right?
Really, to my knowledge I am the only registered hornsmith in my county and that is my main hobby, I also do woodworking, but not as much as I used to, some ATV riding and hikin' through the woods. My winters spent plowing snow at the college campus where I work. 12-14 hour days. I have a large collection of model trains but since my son went and grown up I haven't taken any time to mess with them.
Biggest hobby is trying to keep out of trouble with the miss's

Staying alive and in one piece is my main hobby at this time. Seem to see more of my surgen than my crafts. But I also collect the old time HORROR movies of the 1950s-1960s'. Favorite, as some of you already know is Creature From the Black Lagoon....still looking for the 3-D of this. Just got the new issure collection of all 3 Creatures. Also collect old Western movies and anything of John Wayne. Collect Sound tracks of TV and Old movies.

Have a great WWII Naval patch collection.
Play the 4 and 5 string Dulcimer...and sing when I can. Love the old Roudy Boudy risque songs of the old West and what ever suits my fancy.
Build Web sites for friends and teach the scared to death crowd of computers how to get on the web and use the dang fangle machine. Wish someone had spent the time doing it for me...I might not be with this group. :shocking: :shake: :haha:

Also just started gardening...yea...right...gardening amongst my weeds. Is there some kind of gene that kicks in when you retire that says do more camping and grow flowers???? :: :what:

And I have a 2000 gal. Koi pond I like to skinny dip in and feed my 25" fish. :eek: :rolleyes: Talk about a bit of a thrill.... :shocking: :shocking: :youcrazy: :eek: :blah: Those fish are great kissers. :no: :redface:

I quit work 1 1/2 years ago so I could stay home and take care of my daughter.
Slowpoke, you lucky kid on the block. I how thought I was unique beeing home 10 month to take care of my to kids. Now I have to go back to office, OK halftime. Maybe I will try to get that green card for the States.
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

I'm a retired carpenter so ML's and live'n history is purty much my life-style these days, and I don't consider them to be "hobbies" anymore.

What I do consider as my "hobbies" are,.... go'n to (farm/ranch) auctions, do'n some "honey-dews", fix'n fence, peck'n on this "key-board", put'n up hay, keep'n tha "out build'ns" in good shape, work'n with my 4-legged long-eared "critters", try'n to figger out "human nature", and go'n to "town" 'bout once'a month.
I sure wish my "priorities list" would have been like this start'n 35 years ago.
My wife, kids, and grandkids, seem to lead "normal lives" tho.

YMHS
rollingb

Well Musketeer and Slowpoke you two aren't the youngest here. I'm thirty two. I seem to be spending a lot of my time here anymore. I read quite a bit. Mostly history and firearms related stuff. I shoot traditional archery, hunt deer with a recurve. Muzzleloading I slipped away from but have come back to. My interests seem a little cyclic, I get into something then drift away then come back. I always have had a real love of frontstuffers and never forget them.

Back