• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Our other hobbies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hobbies have changed a little over the years in emphasis, but I have always been into the outdoors: hiking, hunting, fishing, etc., I especially like fly fishing and bird hunting over dogs with a double barrel; I collect antique and custom knives--especially pre WWII pocket knives; I collect minerals (I am a geologist-geophysicist by trade); I read alot, especially history. I used to do art work--painting and sketching. Lately, I am mostly into reenacting and ML rifle shooting.

It's an affliction

in the middle of doing just what you described.

amazing what you find under 5 or 6 coats of paint and 4 layers of wall paper...

as well as under the greasy carpet that 6 or 8 renters have used...

rayb

my wife describes it as "messing around" :eek:dds and ends of workbench projects...increasingly, the stuff is bp related..leather work, horn building, bullet casting. I've been doing a little genealogy digging. I manage a hike or a hunt one day a week...increasingly, the "hunt" is a "hike with a gun"...Hank

Well at the moment I think that I am the youngest at 31. I am just getting into this ML thing so I send A LOT of time here reading and making a "need to buy" list. I am a volunteer EMT so I send a bunch of time at the fire house. Mostly though I send time with my wife and two kids and waiting for them to be old enough so I can get them shooting. Being an Eagle scout gave me the love for the outdoors and starting in the spring I'll be giving that to my kids. The time for family camping is at hand.

Travis

I have lots of hobbies, I like shopping for guns, shooting my guns, cleaning my guns, fixing my guns, resarching and reading about guns, too many hobbies to mention really, I could go on all day.

Fly fishing...

And I'm spoiled too, I own all Orvis rods and reels...

I have an Orvis 9 weight for salmon and steelheads, a 5 weight for everything and a 1 weight for trout...

Orvis

I tie my own flies too...

Slowpoke - Just for general information, there is no legal amount of drinking spirits you can make. If one is running a still for beverage, it must be registered with the BATF, and tax paid on any amount. If you are making ethanol, it also must be registered. Both types require a sign at the entrance to the premises, and said premises are open 24/7 for inspection by BATF. If the cap arm is not in the same location as the rest of the still, it is at that time not a still, so it is a good idea to keep that part off-premises if you are making shine. Arrest for making whiskey without registration results in imprisonment on Federal charges, and forfiture of the property on which the still was operating on. A lot of people think you can make it for personal consumption, like you can wine and beer. Nope. That is the main reason I got rid of mine. I had a friend who was a deputy sherriff stop by one day when I was cooking, and he gave me the run down on the law. He did sample the brew, but advised me that I was running a pretty serious risk if the wrong guy walked through the door. Check out the BATF web site.

Working on the house, which I guess is more of a lifestyle than a hobby. Brewing is my biggest money and time muncher. Beer,wine,mead,cider,if it has natural sugar in it I have this urge to throw in some yeast and dump it into a carboy. By next summer I plan on having a dedicated brewery in a 10x12 shed out back.

Dang it Ric.... spoil all my fun. Thanks, I got so bad info from my local police.... probably out to get me. :)

SP <-- new leader of the temperance movement.

For me, BP is a hobby that came along with rendezvous fever. But I have a real love for firearms of all types anyway, so it was an easy and very natural progression.

Don't hunt, x-country ski or snow shoe any more since I got my leg screwed up. We boat and fish the Mississippi River with our 20 footer, gun collecting, modern handgun target and combat style shooting, photography, music, playing 60-70s rock on my guitar, collecting and watching movies/home theater, we camped in tents & modern RVs for 30 years before rendezvous fever hit us, vegetable gardening, cooking (modern and primitive), hosting a football party every Sunday the Vikings play, learning more about computers and the internet from my buddy Technutz and playing with my chocolate Labs. I love retirement!!!!

Well, at a mere 34 years old, I guess I'm sorta still a pup compared to some of ya! ::I guess it shows in some of my other hobbies, which I have displayed in a photographic collage below. :thumbsup:
hobbies.jpg

Well Musketeer I can get into 2 out of 5 of what you have on your collage, Longbows, and pretty young ladies. I don't know what them other things are though! LOL!

At the moment flintlocks are my first love, (hobby)! I don't consider beautiful women a hobby more like a way of life! LOL! I asked my grandfather who was 99 when do you start to loose interest in women. He said " Don't know you'll have to ask someone older than me I reckon!"

YMH&OS, :redthumb:
Chuck

I don't consider beautiful women a hobby more like a way of life! LOL!
Actually, I believe you's right, Huntinfool! ::A hobby is something you might eventually lose interest in, in favor of something else. Somehow, I don't see myself losin' interest in women! :: :shocking: :crackup: :thumbsup:

My old hoby used to be sprint car racing, I was born in June 1959 and my father purchazed and started racing a sprint car in August 1959. I grew up at the local dirt track and didnt get into the historical trecking thing until 2 years ago. Since then I have only been to 2 races.

gold panning i want to find enough for a ring for my wife and a front sight for my muzzle loader might take me about a 100 years not much gold in michigan. grouse hunting with a sxs shotgun bobcat trapping camping with my family and friends in a motorhome my wife doesnt like it any more primitive a little bit of woodworking and woodturning my wife and i homeschool our children i guess kind of a lifestyle but my real passion has always been my job logging i love to log i enjoy just about every day even the bad ones when i am working with really large trees i guess i enjoy that more than anything . i teach sunday school and read my bible a lot i have a deep love for GOD. i guess thats enough hobbies.

curly maple

Hunting and ML are my current passion but just in the last couple years. I hadn't hunted in many years, too busy with school and then work. 3 years ago, I realized I actually could go hunting again and borrowed my dad's Argentina mauser. I bought a few cartridge guns and then an in-line. That lead me to get one flintlock, then another, and another.

Before the hunting bug, I hiked quite a bit and was working on the Catskills 3500, climbing the 35 tallest peaks in the Catskill Mtns. I've got 12 more to go but I've only been up there twice this year. If I'm out of the house at 6am on a Saturday morning now, instead of driving two hours to hike, I'm spending a couple peaceful hours at the range before the crowds shows up.

School is another hobby but also work related. I've been working on a PhD part-time for 4 years. Just need to commit to quitting my job and going full-time for a couple years to concentrate on my dissertation research.

you mean there's other hobbies out there :crackup:....i like to put models together....have quite a collection so far....summer there's fishin, mtn bikeing and always working on my cars....now that the bug has bitting me gun building....soon there's going to be the wooden ship of the u.s.s. constitution at bout $400.00....yup the real hard one to put together....48" long 36" tall and 19" wide........................bob

Slowpoke, Wait a minute I thought you said you quit drinking!? You distill it for others? Yeah right! :haha:

I'm kind of a mad scientist.... For the pass couple of years I have tried to plant an organic garden in the mercury laced soil of Maryland. I use tobacco and alcohol as bug killer. After reading how to do it in the Foxfire book I decided to give it a try. It worked out pretty well, but I can't get the alcohol at the right level for drinking. The stuff I make will either set your throat on fire or is to watery. I know if I experimented with it a little more I could get it right but my wife would probably divorce me by that time. Besides I'm getting rid of it to keep in the good graces of the state.
I had to make up a story about feeding the birds and squirrels to account for the 50 pound bag of scratch feed I bought for the still. My wife (pediatric oncologist) was concerned scratch feed would attract mice and rat that would in turn give our daughter bubonic plague. :shake: Life's not easy for a South Carolina boy who married well over his head.
Someday, I'll tell everyone about the time we had her "doctor friends" from Hopkins over for a Christmas party. Lets just say that they found my skunk and opossum pelts very disturbing and wanted to make sure that wasn't what they were having for dinner.

Hobby farmin' with old tractors....and now a new one so I can start fixin' the clunkers. Got 52 acres and, since retiring, want to get the hayfields working again. I love haying. Oh yeah, restoring old tractors is the next hobby frontier.

Flying & flight instructing. Got a sweet little Piper Warrior that makes a great platform for instrument instruction. It's got the goodies and a low time engine and does well in everything but ice and thunderstorms.

Fishing & boating. Live on a good smallmouth stream. Also got a 16' walleye boat with a new 90hp motor. Use it on Lake Ontario or the Finger Lakes. Got a long way to go before I'll know how to fish those lakes.

Shooting & reloading. I love anything that goes bang. But the centerfire rifles have been languishing since I stumbled upon muzzleloading. The handguns aren't as much fun either with aging eyes. But wing shooting has almost taken their place. Got interested in that when I picked up a spare shotgun barrel for one of my T/C's. Blackpowder shotgunning led to the smokeless variety.

"So", you say, "this boy's toys aren't cheap. What's up?". I stayed single guys. With the crazy hours I worked, when I was working, I would've ended up single anyway...and broke. Most of my buddies did. So instead I cut my losses and saved some poor gal some anguish and myself some money.
Bob

Quote:

"I stayed single guys. With the crazy hours I worked, when I was working, I would've ended up single anyway...and broke. Most of my buddies did. So instead I cut my losses and saved some poor gal some anguish and myself some money."

You were wiser than you knew......

rayb

Back