• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

outfit, at last

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Last post, I promise.

After several months of doing little projects to build my confidence and reading a bunch to try making the right decisions, I tackled the job of making my outfit to wear, ca 1778. It took me several weeks/months to finish, but i learned a lot and was pleased with the result. I've been impressed that the stuff has held up amazingly well with fairly hard use over 12 years of trekking and hunting.

First, I tackled the shirt, a plain one of knobby, homespun-looking cotton cloth:
shirt2.jpg

Next in difficulty seemed to be the sleeveless waistcoat. Whole lot of buttonholes!!
WaistcoatA.jpg

Finally the long fall breeches, scary to tackle, but not as bad as I feared:
BreechesA.jpg

With the job finished, I bought some straight-last shoes and stockings, and I was ready. I managed to make by hand the shirt, breeches, waistcoat, tricorn hat, shooting pouch and all attachments, and to finish the J. Brown flintlock smoothbore. It felt good.
DoveHunter.jpg

With my confidence boosted I tackled a rifle shirt. Now, that was a job.
Rifle_ShirtA.jpg

Nice work. When I began in this hobby, I didn't know beans about sewing. I could barely thread a needle, much less make anything. Now I make all of my own clothing, leather goods, knives and other assorted steel items, and even made a several longrifles.

The only way to learn these things is to just jump in with both feet, as you have done.

I only mention these things to commend you for going for it by making you own clothing, and to encourage others to do the same.

God bless

Nice looking outfit Bob, you are looking pretty good to, I can't see much difference from pics of you ten or more years ago, you got a secret BP plus Frog juice in stumpwater anti aging formula tucked away somewhere? :wink:

Thanks Claude, that will cure some head scratching i had going on, i knew i had seen him before.
Spence,looks like you stepped right out of the past! looking good! :v

tg said:
Bob, you are looking pretty good to, I can't see much difference from pics of you ten or more years ago...
I do have a secret, Gene, the picture is from 10 years ago. Let's just keep that between you and me, OK?

Spence

Spence, if I ever get stranded out in the wilderness, I want it to be with you. You could probably build a house, all the furniture, put in a pool, make a refrigerator and stock it with beer, and who knows what else (of course I'd help). You do really great things. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Vern

Spence,great job on the sewing :thumbsup: i cant tell you how many times i have went to your website for some referance or just to read your great hunting stories...thanks!

Ancient One said:
You do really great things.
Not really, Vern. I see guys building guns and doing blacksmithing, making beautiful knives and I feel my puny projects are barely good enough for a Boy Scout merit badge.

David50, I'm glad you enjoy the site. Sharing it gives me as much pleasure as you.

Spence

I knew I had seen you before !! Ive spent a lot of time on your site reading .
Thank you for taking time and effort for doing so :hatsoff:

George said, "Last post, I promise."

Bob, I became a fan and admirer of you way back when you began that mailing list. Hopefully you will continue to post.

Spent a couple of hours reading all of Spence's web page (got kicked out of Evelin Woods "speed Reading Class"). I really enjoyed it. I thank Spence for having such a site and I thank Claude for mentioning it. The photo's were remarkable.

Vern

Bang up job on your clothing! I read some of your musings on your site and I loved the one about crayfish coffee. It is now on my favorite's list. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Back