• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA Flinters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hope you all had a good day in PA with the opening of your Flintlock Deer Season. Just want you to know that this old Pennsylvanian envies you and wish I could be back there for the season. Good luck, hunt safe, and make meat.

Could not get out today but will get out tomorrow and hunt a scrape I've been watching all season....has had recent activity and plan to use some doe-n-heat pee to attract me a muzzleloader buck...sure am glad the deer are getting back to their normal routine and habits...during some daylight hours at least!

Also looking forward to using my new capote and badger hat while hunt'n...got these at the Rondy up at Coopers Lake this past September...anyone else attend?

Will try and post some photo's if'n I git one! :v

Ditto! won't be back over this year, as I got my buck during gun season this year!
Being a displaced PA native, I still maintain a camp up in Elk Co. about a half an hour East of Ridgway.....and if I don't get a buck during gun season, I always come back up for Flintlock....I like the idea of being able to get a doe with the flintlock tag, b/c it's almost impossible for a non resident to get a doe tag for the regular season.

Good Luck!

We used to have a camp just outside Portland Mills; it's a nice area. Hunted the CCC camp lands for years when I was younger.

Just got a call that our flinter group is gathering Saturday morning in Jamestown for some deer driving. We have fresh snow coming today and 40 degree temps on Saturday. Should be a good day.

Quiet first morning but will be out tomorrow and a few days next week with my son. It's his first Flintlock season.

Friday morning clear and cold, an inch of snow covering everything. Put out the hot doe pee into the scrape and hunkered into a fallen tree top...lot's of turkey and squirrel, but no deer...stayed till 10:30 and left for the cottage to see the grandchildren off to N. Carolina...will be hunt'n the same spot this evening! :v

Nice! I Know the CCC camp well....and we are just 3 or 4 miles east of Portland mills....I trout fish the Toby, and bel mouth and laurel runs....My brothers hunt up on cowerd run....they walk the old track bed back from the CCC parking lot

gonna hit it hard tommorrow. i was set up at coopers lake for 8 days. nice break from the "real world"!

I haven't had much time and didn't make meat yet but I hope to get out this afternoon. Here's a photo from yesterday afternoon of the implements and my hunting area.

rifle-260101_zps593041df.jpg

3 of us, representing VT, NJ and MA just got home (no Sunday hunting in PA) after camping out in a Panther Primitives tent since Thursday.

Deer were sighted every day, most times 3-5 together, but none were taken. The camp and camaraderie, however, were unequaled!

beautiful gun GG, im beginning to become obsessed with the "full wood" guns. Im getting out New Year's Day with a few friends.

Here's some images from our camp ... for those who yearn to get out in the woods for a while, real or imagined ;) . Plus for those who like fine long arms!

Our little camp (actually a nice sized Panther tent!)
photo01a_zpsb6b44f78.jpg

Typical NE'trn PA woods - do you see the deer?
photo02_zps5746d2b3.jpg

The 'tools'
photo08_zps142e862e.jpg

Left to right:
-Caywood Wilson 62 trade gun smoothbore, decorated with bead inlays ala the O'Connor gun per Hamilton's book of Colonial Frontier Arms
-MaryAnn, a 54-cal early Lancaster, 44" swamped barrel
-Ginger, a 50-cal, forget the school, 42" swamped barrel, made from a blank
photo09_zps339bfdd3.jpg

"Jersey Flinter" made both of the rifles, the talented craftsman that he is. Here's the link to the build of MaryAnn: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/1321615/

Last edited by a moderator:
Deer were sighted every day, most times 3-5 together, but none were taken.

Flint62Smoothie was too kind to me with his above statement. He left out the fact that I missed a doe standing broadside at 30 yards. Ugh!! :doh: All that time on the range and the past experience of 7 kills with a flintlock were wiped away by "buck fever". Could hear them coming for about two minutes before I sighted the legs of the two doe through the underbrush. My nerves combined with my off-hand hold of the 42" straight octagon barrel for around 30 seconds (seemed like an eternity) led to me yank the trigger with no follow through and no precise front blade placement. :redface: Still no notch on "Ginger". Oh well, there is always next year...

Nice, I didn't see any smoke from the pipe in the first pic, couldn't have been too warm? Ha! Yup Dave has a nice lh beck profile, that's a banner year for lh becks this year, might be his 3 or 4th! Mine is on way after new years, custom c+ weight .66 smooth colerain swamped oct. for a smoothrifle! Keep up the good hunting! Enjoy it all while we can!

Will be leaving work here in MA in about half an hour and driving to PA (my home state) to hunt the rest of the week. It will be my first time flintlock hunting so I'm really looking forward to it. I have my regular season buck/doe tag plus I drew a doe tag for the area I'm hunting, so my hopes are high :grin:

Hierophant said:
Will be leaving work here in MA in about half an hour and driving to PA (my home state) to hunt the rest of the week. It will be my first time flintlock hunting so I'm really looking forward to it. I have my regular season buck/doe tag plus I drew a doe tag for the area I'm hunting, so my hopes are high :grin:

Good luck! There is some cold weather comin'...

Latest posts

Back