• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pa late season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my second deer of the PA flintlock season yesterday. I had 3 come into me through the thick brush I was in the middle of. I let the first 2 pass through the small opening I had and took the 3rd, the largest, with a straight on shot. The deer feel in it's tracks dead.

Sorry, no pictures of this doe. Here's a picture of the first one I got on Monday.
http://moosejaw.netfirms.com/flint_doe.jpg

I'm done for the season.

Well Pa-flinter, that is probably the last deer in PA. I've been reading our state's hunting forum, and you undoubtedly have the honor of finishing off the herd. I was going out again tomorrow morning, but now I think I'll just go shopping with the wife. Thanks!

No pics, but did get a nice doe on Friday 12/31/04. We saw alot of deer in the four days that we were hunting. I still have my back tag. Hopefully I will get out Saturday for some more meat. Sure was fun. Would have been more fun if I could only talk one of my girls to take up bp in addition to centerfire and archery. Oh well there is always next year to work towards.
Zman

no shots fired but they are out there. some nice bucks too.i have found they are in differentareas than in the past.they are very experienced at avoiding us too.

I was out the first, second and third days and I did not see a single deer until about 2 minutes after shooting hours on Wednesday. Here in South East PA (Montgomery Co)the first day was very cold and the ground so saturated that it froze -- like permafost. Every footfall was like stepping on a bag of potato chips. Tuesday was beter - in terms of weather but still very cold. Wednesday was actually a great day and perfect for hunting. All things considered --with the weather and not seeing any deer during legal shooting hours -- I would do it all again tomorrow! :)

was gonna go out this past week "but" this ice storm is playing havoc with us here in the northeast....7" of snow and 2" of ice on top of that....took the dogs out this mourning and one slid down hill through the woods bout 60 feet....thought i was going to have to get the leash and pull her back home if i didn't get stuck also....still have next week i hope..................bob

It's noon, the rain seems to be letting up, and the wife says that I need more exercise than sitting here typing. So, unlike you folks in the Poconos, Bob, we haven't had anything except about 2" of rain here in Berks Co., and the Blue Mt. is calling. I know a stump up there with my name on it, so I'm out of here. Enjoy you day! :thumbsup:

Ah, Blue Mt.-- you must be near Blue Marsh SGL 280 or 285 (I can't recall)?? I love that area and do a lot of chuck and small game hunting there. It's raining cats and dogs here in northern Chester County. If we get as much snow this winter as we have had rain this past summer and Fall -- look out! I have to sign off and get something done -- maybe even take down the Christmas tree. :thumbsup:

Greetings Chet,
I usually hunt above Port Clinton or near the Hamburg Reservoir. Today, I went to the reservoir and saw that from the mid-point of the Blue Mt. to the top it was solid ice, so I stayed low. About quitting time I saw a deer moving up from the rhodendron thicket along Furnace Creek, but it kept its head down and I couldn't make out whether buck or doe, so I just enjoyed its passing through. I still have all next week! Retirement is a wonderful thing! :thumbsup:

I just talked to a friend of mine who has a camp up in Phillipsburgh. Him and his boys went up to do some flintlocking,said that he could not get into his camp due to a bad ice storm. Trees down everywhere,power out,said that they finally got out this afternoon,but nothing moving,he could not even get up to his ground with all the trees down.

Here in the extreme part of southwestern Pa (West Virginia line), weather is also extreme. Normally, you can easily jump across the small stream that runs below my house, but for the last week it looks like a miniature version of the Niagara river. Flooding in this area is wide spread. This morning, the wet was compounded by high winds. The only time I have used 4 wheel drive this year is for mud. We haven't had any real snowfall which is unusual for this time of year. The size of our deer herd is also greatly reduced. There are lots of deer in the areas where you can't hunt, but the excessive doe kills of the last few years have really reduced the numbers in the area that I hunt. I shot a doe with my Tulle in the October season, but I'm just not finding them in the late season.

As I stated in an earlier post I harvested a doe in the October season.I hunted Sat. January 3rd and passed up 3 does (I was holding out for horns).I will have a half day to hunt on Sat. the 15th, I will most likely take the first legal deer I am blessed with seeing. If I get nothing I will still end my season a happy man. I got the doe in October and a buck in Va. after Christmas,both with a flintlock I'm thankful. :)

Back