• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pa to allow flintlock handgun in late season.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Morrison

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The Pennsylvania Game Commission has decided to allow flintlock handguns in the late flintlock season starting this year. Caliber must be .50 or larger.
Any comments?

I think hunters better do some penetration tests before going into the woods after game with a ML pistol.

I would have to agre with fusil de chasse. Is there enough velocity/ft lbs. in a flintlock pistol? What's the effective range? I've tried a handgun before and accuracy is tough. Guess it's like anything else, you gotta practice. PA. is probably just looking to get another stamp added to the already to expensive liscense.

I have only two years expierence hunting with a flintlock rifle and none with a flintlock handgun. I see it only as a finishing shot for a wounded deer.
I'm suprised Pennsylvania is allowing them.
Hunt safely.

Magumba said:
The Pennsylvania Game Commission has decided to allow flintlock handguns in the late flintlock season starting this year. Caliber must be .50 or larger.
Any comments?

About what I'd expect from a liberal board of commissioners who already allow hunting with a spear.
Somebody was watching The Patriot too much.

WildatHeart said:
Magumba said:
Any comments?

About what I'd expect from a liberal board of commissioners who already allow hunting with a spear.
Somebody was watching The Patriot too much.

if yer talking bout the atla it was trashed....ya can already use pistols in the regular season that are only a .357 wit a 5" - 6" barrel, why not a .54 wit a 12" if ya practise wit it :v ..............bob

The Pennsylvania Game Commission has been bought off by the insurance companys for years. Insurance companys want ALL the deer killed off so they don't have to pay out for car accidents involving deer.
Wounding them is as good as a kill in their minds.
This is why they were caught stocking coyotes in the area where I live in the Alleghney National Forest. They denied it at first until one was caught with their tag in it's ear. Seems they didn't think of removeing it before releaseing it. Now there has been several sightings of mountain lions in this area also. As usual they denie them as being here also.
Last deer season I saw a grand total of 3 deer all of hunting season (ALL meaning every season except anterlees "doe" season)
I have not bought a anterless tag in 34 years. I refuse to give them the extra monies to fund their agenda.

Take any law that gives back freedoms to own and use you firearms. It matters not if you use them, or need them.
As for power a an 11" or 12" .54 flinter will hold its own with a .357 for knock down power.

BTW, where did you get this from? It's not on the PGC web site, nor on another PA hunting board. The ML pistol is a close range, inaccurate weapon, and not suitable for deer hunting, IMO.
PS. Glad they "tossed" the spears. Hadn't heard that.

I seen on another forum , Goex ML forum if I remember correctly the above mentioned but like you have NOT seen it on the PGC website either.

You can, and I have, taken deer with a flintlock handgun - this photo is from last December -
6PointFlinter4.jpg

This flintlock pistol pushes a .177 gr. RB out the muzzle at almost 1500 FPS - that is running well over 800 foot pounds of energy. This gun does just fine on deer - no running through the woods wounded.

PATrapper said:
I would have to agre with fusil de chasse. Is there enough velocity/ft lbs. in a flintlock pistol? What's the effective range? I've tried a handgun before and accuracy is tough. Guess it's like anything else, you gotta practice. PA. is probably just looking to get another stamp added to the already to expensive liscense.

The last post I put up didn't show the gun very well. Here is a shot of the gun and 25 and 50 yrd. targets I shot recently. This should give you an idea of its accuracy. 8" groups out to 100 yrds. with a little practice. As for down range energy using ballistic calculators found on the web and "at-the-muzzle" data I collected on a chronograph, this handgun has sufficient energy to cleanly take a deer out to 70 yrds. You all in PA want to hunt with one of these come one down, Kentucky doesn't have any rules that get in the way. I believe the only firearm you can't hunt deer with is one that shoots rimfire cartridges - other than that, have at it!

muzzleloaderstuff005.jpg

Ok, first off, those are nice groups you have. Secondly though, that does not look like a pre-1800's traditional flintlock pistol, which is what I'm basing my opinion on. It looks like it could be a cut-down TC Hawken barrel or custom made. Thirdly, PA's flinlock season is post-Christmas, with zero vegetation. You might be able to get close enough if you're up a tree, but on the ground, I doubt you'll ever get within 25 yds of a deer.

PS. Apparently this did gain approval from the PGC last month. :(

WildatHeart said:
Ok, first off, those are nice groups you have. Secondly though, that does not look like a pre-1800's traditional flintlock pistol, which is what I'm basing my opinion on. It looks like it could be a cut-down TC Hawken barrel or custom made. Thirdly, PA's flinlock season is post-Christmas, with zero vegetation. You might be able to get close enough if you're up a tree, but on the ground, I doubt you'll ever get within 25 yds of a deer.

PS. Apparently this did gain approval from the PGC last month. :(

I am not certain exactly what era this gun is supposed to be but, it is a Pedersoli Kentucky Bounty pistol, it was built from a kit, a couple of custom details I added to suit my needs but, essentially that is what it is. Yeah, it looks like a cut down Hawken in a way, you look at it and wonder where the patch box is. :haha:

I took that pictured button buck with that thing in mid-December, no vegatation here then either, shot was about 35 yrds. It was farther away then the the 6 pointer in the photo shot the day before with my TN Mtn. rifle. That one was only 17 yrds. out. I think the patch struck that one he was so close. I was in a tree stand on both of these - I am guessing you can't use tree stands during the season you are talking about? I don't care for field hunting, I am always in the thick woods, shots over 60 yrds are rare in these areas, this pistol does just fine for my hunting style. Don't worry about the added pressure on the hunt up there. I don't think you will see many hunters hitting the woods with a flint pistol next year, for those that do just trust they understand the limitations of their firearm - cheers.

Maybe this may sound silly but I can see someone making a flintlock hunting pistol with a 14 to 16 inch barrel and adjustable sights.

If you know your limitations of the gun and shooter, then give it a go.

As has been said, if government GIVES you a freedom, please take it and be happy. The PA state government is allowing YOU to be the judge on your own ability to hunt with a pistol; if you believe you can do it, then go to it. If you don't think it is for you, then don't do it. I think it is a great step in the right direction for government to allow you to think for yourself. This is something we should be thanking them for, they are treating us the way the Constitution says we should be treated. That is rare today.

I think Big Bore touched on the point we are concerned about. What makes a pistol a pistol? I can take my TC Hawken and cut the stock off at the triggers and six inches off the barrel and I've got a pistol. We just beat back an attempt to include in-lines in our primative season here. Anything that up-sets the status-quo has us concerned.

Black powder actually holds a world of diversity in some ways. You could legally cut down a muzzleloading rifle and create a hunting pistol.As I type this out, there is off to the left of me my little gun and outdoor[url] library.In[/url] it I have a copy of Erich Hobusch's book," Fair Game". It is a fascinating compilation of hunting history with emphasis on Europe. There are pictures of early wheellock handguns for hunting.They are oranate and have what appear to be barrel lengths of 14 to 18 inches.

One of my philosophies on hunting is to know your limitations. If the gun has the power to humanely take an animal and you are good enough of a shot to do it, then by all means do so. If not, then don't.

While I have some time, I think I will peruse through this old book and daydream of the chase. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back