• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper Cartridges Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaman

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a question regarding paper cartridges in a smoothbore.

When inserting the cartridge, do you stuff it in ball first or paper first?

The reason why I asked is as follows. I acquired a Pedersoli Brown Bess about 3 months before being diagnosed with cancer. I only got to shoot it a few times before I was waylaid by the Chemo. The Chemo left me with neuropathy in my hands, and I had to give up on paper cartridges for a couple of years-- just couldn't feel my fingers well enough to roll and tie them. Now I'm back in business. I hunted with the Bess, but used the SkyChief Method; it was easier to pull off. Now that my neuropathy has improved, I want to try rolling cartridges again.

I just got done with my quarterly checkup and I'm now officially 2 years cancer-free. The Chemo also gave me a certain amount of memory loss. Some things just got burned out of me. One of them is that I cannot remember which way the cartridge goes in. I looked on Youtube, and I've seen it both ways.

How do y'all do it?

Many thanks in advance.

After I've primed the pan and put the powder down the barrel, I push the rest down in ball first. I use a fairly undersized ball with my Bess, as soldiers in the 18th century did, so I guess it depends on what size ball you are using. For my trade gun, the ball is a little tighter so I drop the ball in on top of the power and then push the cartridge paper down.

I'm sure others will chime in as well.

I have a question regarding paper cartridges in a smoothbore.

When inserting the cartridge, do you stuff it in ball first or paper first?

. The Chemo also gave me a certain amount of memory loss. Some things just got burned out of me. One of them is that I cannot remember which way the cartridge goes in. I looked on Youtube, and I've seen it both ways.

How do y'all do it?

Many thanks in advance.

YES

So when I'm not shooting for speed in a match that simulates volley-fire-by-ranks, I like to pour, reverse, and stick the ball end in first, until the ball is below the muzzle, then tear off the rest of the cartridge and ram the ball and remaining paper home. THEN I prime with my horn, and I'm ready to go.

In a speed match, and I believe in combat the best trained troops would do this..., you tear, prime the pan, then insert the cartridge with the ball going in last. While the troop then pulled the rammer, the powder poured. The troop would then ram the ball and cartridge down, the empty portion of the tube getting crushed and forming a sort of wad.

LD

Back