• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

parched corn..another way?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grendal

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there another way to get dry kernels like the ones used for parched corn besides buying a ear of corn and drying it out?

Frozen whole-kernal corn put into a dehdrator or dried on an oven rack makes a pretty darn close substitute, and is sweeter and easier on the teeth.

amen to that brother, have tried many ways, but always go back to drying sweet corn over a winter, however, when in a hurry and have no dried corn, your method of using frozen corns works like a dandy.

bouncer :v

grendal said:
Is there another way to get dry kernels like the ones used for parched corn besides buying a ear of corn and drying it out?

Purchasing it already parched is the fastest and easiest.

You cannot make "parched corn" from frozen, "cut corn". The fact that the kernal has been cut open preents the parching process. Parched corn is not just dried corn.

Having said that, you can do anytthing you want to cut, frozen, or any other type of corn and enjoy it, but it isn't "PARCHED". It all depends on whether you just want to eat corn, or if you want real, parched corn.

"You cannot make "parched corn" from frozen, "cut corn". The fact that the kernal has been cut open preents the parching process. Parched corn is not just dried corn."

In my method you still throw the dried sweet cut corn into the cast iron skillet with a very little bit of oil and parch it just like corn from the cob. I understand that when the kernal is cut from the cob, the "pressure vessel" effect is lost. Therefore, you loose the puffed effect of true parched corn. That being said, although the shortcut, modern method may not be totally authentic, as the frontiersmen did not have frozen corn to work with, to my taste it is a pretty fair substitute and a decent, if not perfect, representation of primitive trail fare. Sort of like brewing tea on the trail with modern teabags instead of slicing tea off a block and using a teaball.

Parched corn is merly dried and slightly roasted corn, no matter where the raw material originated.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of parching your own, parched corn can be bought very inexpensively in many international food stores.

The block tea is not historically correct for the 18th century, BTW. It's a much later developement.

A histoically correct tea that is still available is gunpowder tea, bought at the same international food stores.
J.D.

I take a can of sweet corn and drain it in the sink. Then i pour the drained corn onto a steel pizza pan and set it on the dash board of my truck on a sunny day. One day and the sun has made you some nice dry corn. Then finish it off in the skillet.

I also make jerky this way. In the sun. Cheaper than one of them new fangled dehydrators.

I have seen dried, whole kernel corn in health food stores. Find a good store and check it out.

You can also try Mexican food stores. The sell Parching Corn at the one's around here.
Claude

Back