• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parker Hale Alexander Henry Target Rifle - Help Wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the percussion rifle game and recently acquired a Parker Hale Target rifle with the AH rifling in .451. Since, this is the nearest reproduction to a 2 band Confederate Whitworth. Would anyone have suggestions regarding bullets, powder loads, primers, etc? I am not currently set up for casting bullets and would like to maybe just start off purchasing these rounds.

I would greatly appreciate the help.

Pedersoli makes a Whitworth rifle. I have one about to be put up for sale. No photos yet. It is NOT recommended that you use the spiral Whitworth bullets from the Pedersoli mold, as they don't quite match the rifling. There is a paper patched bullet that performs best.

For your Volunteer rifle with Henry rifling I would suggest seeing what bullets Buffalo Arms has available. Either .450" grease groove or. 443" slicks for paper patching. Also Brett Gibbons of Paper Cartridges swages an original Whitworth bullet that may work but is likely too long, I believe the twist is slower in the Volunteer than it is in the Whitworth.

The Whitworth twist is said to be one in twenty inches.

My Pedersoli hex mould throws a perfectly-fitting bullet, but from what I hear, that is entirely down to luck, rather than design. A mould that makes a hexagonal bullet that is even a thou or two oversize is nothing more than an expensive paper-weight.

I'm uncertain what you mean by 'primers'. All of Parker-Hale's replications, like most of their ilk from other makers, use top hat musket caps, and not primers of any kind.

Loads are by experimentation, but starting at around 70gr of 1Fg - the grade recommended by P-H in their instructions, would be a good start.

Card wads are also a feature of this style of shooting - hopefully, Mr Minshall of the MLAGB or Fleaner of the MLAIC will drop by dreckly and offer sounder advice.

Last edited:
The Whitworth twist is said to be one in twenty inches.

My Pedersoli hex mould throws a perfectly-fitting bullet, but from what I hear, that is entirely down to luck, rather than design. A mould that makes a hexagonal bullet that is even a thou or two oversize is nothing more than an expensive paper-weight.

I'm uncertain what you mean by 'primers'. All of Parker-Hale's replications, like most of their ilk from other makers, use top hat musket caps, and not primers of any kind.

Loads are by experimentation, but starting at around 70gr of 1Fg - the grade recommended by P-H in their instructions, would be a good start.

Card wads are also a feature of this style of shooting - hopefully, Mr Minshall of the MLAGB or Fleaner of the MLAIC will drop by dreckly and offer sounder advice.
My apologies when I said primers I meant caps. The above is helpful though for sure thank you!

Hello,

I am new to the percussion rifle game and recently acquired a Parker Hale Target rifle with the AH rifling in .451. ….. …
I would greatly appreciate the help.
I have a bunch of articles on line that should help with general advice if the .451 percussion rifle is new to you. I had on of the P-H Volunteers and it shot well (match winning scores) out to 600 yards - the furthest I fired it.

See - Long Range Muzzle Loading

The powder I used is no longer available, but was similar to Swiss No. 4 (1.5Fg). I was shooting with 85 - 90 grains, a plain card wad and approx. 530 grain bullet. The nipple on such rifles can be quickly eroded. The 19thC solution, as today, is a platinum lining.

David

Latest posts

Back