• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parker SxS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALKERs210

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a chance to pick up a Parker muzzle loader SxS shotgun and messed up and let it get away from me. I found the man that bought it and he has offered it to me at a price many many times over the original sellers price was. The Parker appears to be around a 28ga, barrels at the muzzle are paper thin and has a few places that have holes, nipples are to say the least very rough. Hammers are functional but lots of slop. From what I and the man that now owns the gun can gather it is around 150 - 160 yrs old. At present stage doubt that it would be safe to fire but would look awesome hanging over the fireplace. I know that you DON'T start restoring guns because it can kill the value, but if the barrel was cut by 1/2 to 1 inch would that do a lot on value or just leave it alone and hang it up.

You aren't thinking this guns is by the famous American firm the Parker Brothers, are you? Be aware that there are both British and Belgian guns, SxS percussion shotguns, which are of only average or less quality, sold with the Parker name as a marketing ploy. None of this type I've ever seen deserve a premium price.

Spence

Spence 10 gave good advice.

IIRC if it is Belgian there would be on the barrel, under the fore end, the marks " ELG " enclosed in an oval.

There is a modern book on the famous U. S. made Parker shotguns that lists every Parker shotgun by serial number, size frame, gauge, etc.

Hope this helps some.

Thanks for the heads up on the Parker, I had completely forgot about the "knock off" Parker. I know about the markings under the barrel but have not had the opportunity to examine that aspect. Will keep looking and digging. Thanks again.

Just spoke with a long term acquaintance who has very actively collected Parker double shotguns since 1969.

He stated that Parker Brothers never made a muzzleloading double barrel SxS shotgun. He thought they might have made some single barrel guns for foreign military contract but those were not marked with the same name as used on Parker Bros., Meridian, Conn. marked shotguns.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Or maybe, good news, if it prevents overpaying for a gun. :hmm:

Very glad to get this info, this is why I ask now before just jumping on what I think would be a good deal.

Indeed Parker Bros never made a muzzleloader. Parker, being a manufacturing firm, did have a contract to make Springfield rifles during the CW under the name Parker Snow but the Parker Bros gun maker began circa 1870 and always made cartridge doubles. Curiously, although belgian guns seldom get any repect, virtually all of the damascus barrels fitted to American guns like Parker, Lefever, LC Smith etc were belgian made and of the highest quality. Tariff protection enabled the american gun companies to get going by pricing the english guns out of the market and leaving the bottom of the market to low quality imports. As others have said, what you were looking at is most likely a wall hanger of minimal value especially given the condition.

Latest posts

Back