• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pasties, the perfect food!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man Skagun that looks good last time I had one was in a resturant called Sidney's in Municing. I think I'll have the wife fix some up for this weekend. Good eats fellas and I'll take one over pizza anytime, and I really like pizza.well this troll has to pester the wife into making some. (Troll= one who lives below the bridge) LOL
:imo:

Good stuff.We cook Hamburger meat jalipno bebers onion mixed alltogether and then put it in bisquit dough and bake it for 15 min.'s or so.I dont use salt or pepper but the wife does,And you use the the peppers and onion to taste.I like alot.And if you use toe foo be sure to add some oil or it will get all crunchey and nasty.

Skagun, The Scots "meat pie" they call "mince" in Scotland, but in the US Scottish bakeries, it is just "a meat pie"...It is similar to the English "pork pie"...the U.S. Scottish bakers offer a "steak" pie...used to be sold in a return for deposit enameled dish, had a flakey crust and the filling was chunks of beef and some sausage meat...my grandmother made what she called a "potato pie" which was a beef, onion and potato stew baked with a non sweet suet crust..our part of England must be more refined and prosperous, as I now hear it called "meat and potato" pie...as you say, every ethnic group has some filled pastry ....and I've never met a one I didn't like..Hank

in my opinion, the best pasty in da u.p. is lawrey pizza and pasty in marquette and ishpeming. the ones at the i.g.a. in negaunee are a close second. actually, the best are made by the local church groups but you would have to live here to know when they are available. but if you are passing through this area, stop and get one and enjoy.

take care, daniel

Hey Skagun
Darn that looks good. The Scots also have a pasty that is filled with mashed peas. It's called mushy peas...Now that's good also. It's much better than it sounds.
Your breakfast in a pouch is great ider :thumbsup:. I will try it for sure. However I do believe it would be better served from someone elses fire... so hey set another plate I will be over for breakfast... :crackup:
Great ider (we need the fix'en method though)
thanks Loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

In the mid and late 1800's the lead miners in SW Wisconsin and around Galena, Illinois took pastys as their lunch. There were Cornish miners and other nationalities. The pasty is still popular around Shullsburg, WI, had one back there couple of months ago.

Many yrs. ago I spent some time in Singapore, they made a meaty one with a spicy sauce that was delicious. At the movie theatres they sold them at the popcorn stand. A friend makes them and double wraps them in heavy foil and at Rondys just throws them in the fire for a few minutes,eat them, throw the foil back in the fire where it burns up. You can buy them in the frozen food area of most supermarkets.

what's it called?
I'm particularly fond of Yakimandu from Korea, but that's more like a Raviolli than a meat pie.

I passed this thread on to a friend from Butte, MY and received this bit of local history back and thought I would share it.

"Only one person spelled it correctly "pastie" or" pasties". If you want to reply. It did originate in Cornwall and was a luncheon food for miners, easy ti carry in a bucket and can be eaten cold. The Irish also used pasties for working in the mines, Sometimes rutabagas or turnips are used instead of potatoes. You also can add carrots. Basics ingredients are meat preferably round steak, potatoes, carrots and onions. In the U.S they are popular in the mining communitas of Mich. and Montana."

There are still at least two pastie shops in Butte and when some friends came to Denver recently (for the CSU-Air Force game) they brought several with them and the 6 of us that went to the game enjoyed them very much.

plinker,

up here in da u.p. we say "pasty". i believe the welsh also made them. this is iron mining country and folks are particular about them around here. here they always have 'taters and meat(what the heck is steak anyway) and either rudabaga or turnips. carrots are frowned upon and no onions(except sometimes). hard to really say because even people from ishpeming and negaunee will argue over what's a proper pasty.

take care, daniel

I Argentina they make something very similar but they add different things . The one I liked the best were the same as the first ones shown in the picture at the begining of this post but they added shredded carrots and raisens , man they was tasty they called them empanadas YUM YUM

Latest posts

Back