• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patch inspection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nodakhorseman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd like to learn a bit more about what to look for when inspecting spent ball patches (retrieving after taking shot).

I have a general idea of what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure what to do if I see something bad/wrong. If I understand it correctly, the patch shouldn't be torn or burnt. In a perfect world, what should it look like?

If a thread like this already exists, would someone mind directing me towards it? I'm sure I'm bringing up an old topic that is new to me.

Here's one thread talking about it.

Your patches should almost look re-usable. There should be a dark spot right behind the ball from the powder burning, unless you use a felt wad. The edges should be slightly frayed but not much.

The patches in the thread I linked to are really bad.

Cuts are easy to see. If they are cut bad enough gasses will blow by and burn or destroy the patch.

Post some photos of your patches and we can tell you how they look.
HD

I just read some posts here (someplace, I can't seem to find the thread now) and it showed several pictures of how patches look after shooting and how they SHOULD look. Maybe someone will post that thread link here soon. Basically, what you should see is a brown area where the powder shoved the ball out the barrel, the edges might be frayed (that's OK as long as it isn't a lot) and NO burn thru or cuts anywhere else. Emery

marmotslayer said:
Roundball has some good pics. Where are you roundball?
I found the thread.....http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/226321/

Latest posts

Back