• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Knives.. show & tell!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brasilkilt made this one for me. Think its going to be a bird knife in my hunting kit.

PatchKnife.jpg

Okay, I admit it, I like knives. My patch knife is the small one in the bottom right. Its just a French paring knife, they always seem to keep old styles of knives and hatchets. The sheath I made from the lower leg of a white-tail with a brain tan upper. It hangs from the strap of my shooting pouch. I interpret the "patch knife" as a general small utility knife with multi-functions, like the patch box was used for more than just holding patches and the haversack was used more than just carrying havers :confused:. The patch knife is 8" long. The other sheaths are made from brain-tan and the sheep's foot blade sheath is made from the lower leg of a moose. They are sewn with linen thread or sinew with rawhide liners. The folder is one of those India jobs, which holds an edge quite well. Someday I'd like to get a real Barlow with the iron bolster (its on the list :grin: ).

knives.jpg

littleknives.jpg

Here is my little patch knife a feller gave me at a turkey shoot a couple a years ago. Handy little blade.

PC070003.jpg

Here are my neck knives and belt knives with their respective cases.

PC020002.jpg

P3030020.jpg

I need to fix the bottom one. It has a tassel missing.

neckknife004.jpg

I was kind of late for this one, but better late than never. Nice litte patch knife and a new neck sheath for it. Danish colors of course.
Jon

That looks like a karda (one of the little side-knives that the Gurkhas and other people from Nepal carry in their scabbards along with their larger kukris.) Is that what it is? Where'd you get it?

Well, I am not sure of its age or where it originated, but it made its way to me by way of the blanket prize. The Lady friend does very well and it was her pull one year. I made up the sheath and thats about all I know of it. Nice little blade. Thanks
Jon

Lhunter,

Some knives just hit ya' as handsome. That one surly does.I don't even hardly use my patch knife I bought, I usually end up using a cheap little sodbuster folder I carry in my bag. My stepson bought it for me from the Alamo gift shop when I took him there. Being an alamologist it's justalways with me and first choice by nature to grab when shooting.

James Taylor

NWTE Longhunter,

Handsome,The joint knobby end of the bone creates a fascinating look.

James taylor

That's a great lookin' knife. Which leg bone did you use? I have several in the freezer right now, which to use?
Thanks.

PS-finally nice weather in "Best Michigan", eh?

Here's one of mine. I guess it's more of a small utility knife. I generally don't cut patches at the bore but it's attached to one of my bags right now.

P3300026_edited.jpg

Didn't have one.But after seen all the patch knives, i think it will be one of my next items.

:grin:

me neither! thats why i posted this,,lookinfer ideas! :grin: now i'm really confused! :haha: but the choices is COOL! :thumbsup:

RC said:
me neither! thats why i posted this,,lookinfer ideas! :grin: now i'm really confused! :haha: but the choices is COOL! :thumbsup:
RC, i'm thinking of a knife with a thin blade and an antler handle.
:hatsoff: :hatsoff:

yup! thin short blade..handles,... thinkin lots of possibilties.well if i had any talent or skills! that is.. :haha: maple ones look real good,,then the leg bone ones...oh gees.. :confused: damascus blade be real nice...whoops! out my price range.. :( okay lil...... :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Back