• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Lube Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ringdove

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am getting back to BP after a long absence. Back in my early days we lubed our patches with anti freeze. I have read about every post on the subject in several forums and nobody mentions this at all. Any body out there using this today? I will be shooting 50 cal round ball.

Ethylene Glycol is poison. It is a liver killer.

Propolyne Glycol is non-poisonous and is often used in food as a preservative. Just use PG anti-freeze and you will be OK.

rd97 said:
I am getting back to BP after a long absence. Back in my early days we lubed our patches with anti freeze. I have read about every post on the subject in several forums and nobody mentions this at all. Any body out there using this today? I will be shooting 50 cal round ball.
Natural Lube 1000 is an excellent one...you can buy precut/prelubed patches with this already in them, or buy a tube and lube dry patches.
If it's real low humidity and dry conditions when you're shooting at the range it's not wet enough to shoot a whole session without wiping the bore every few shots...but under normal mid to high humidity conditions it keeps the bore so clean no wiping is required.
Plus, it's my lube of choice for hunting as it has zero effects on powder;

Hoppes No9 PLUS BP solvent & patch lube is also outstanding one and can be used year round regardles of humidity as its thick liquid and really keeps the bore wiped so clean every time you seat a ball you can shoot a 50 shot range session and never have to wipe between shots.

I agree with roundball...lately, I've been melting my Wonderlube and soaking my pillow ticking in it..it is less greasy to handle (I cut at the muzzle) and works well...I rarely clean between shots at the range..usually swab out as I finish a session of 30 or 40 shots,and do that in preparation for cleaning at home...and that cleaning's no big deal thanks to Wonder lube..Hank

I've never used it. it does have sort of an 'oily' film when rubbed betwixt the fingers tho. I usually use Go-Jo white hand cleaner. I dampen a strip of cloth with it - let it dry awhile then cut into patches about 24 at a time. does better than anything else I've used.

Go-Jo white hand cleaner
Man that's good idea. :thumbsup: I get the black powder residue on my hands and I can use the GO-JO to clean my hands and use for a lube. :)

Wait... :hmm: it doesn't seen that you've finalized payment options...I assume you read the fine print when you joined and realize that all this info isn't FREE? Do you think this is one of those Internet forums where a bunch of guys sit around sharing information and experience for FREE?

The forum operates on the "100 post rule", with a fee associated with each of the first 100 posts, then everything is free after that. Claude prefers PayPal and then apportions out the proceeds to those of us who made a positive contribution to the thread.

The "100 post rule" operates on a tax free declining value basis:
1st post costs $100
2nd post = $99
3rd post = $98
4th post = $97
and so on until you complete your 100th post for a dollar.

Welcome to the Forum!
:thumbsup:

:confused: I guess I didn't read all the fine print before I made this post. First I posted in the wrong place and then I don't have $100. (I just paid Uncle Sam so now I am really broke.) The only thing I could afford after buying everything I need to get started in BP again was free advice. I guess you'll just have write it off to newbie ignorance in placing my first post. :wink:

It does take a few handfuls of odds & ends to get going good doesn't it...it's a great hobby though

I prefer the dry patch method using the soluble cutting and grinding oil.NAPA part number 765-1526

Contact Dutch Schoultz, and buy his Black Powder rifle Accuracy system, to learn about his dry patch technique. Its worth the $15.00 it costs for his system. The water soluable oil is used in industry to cool cutting bits and grinders. You can also do this " dry " lube technique using Ballistol, and even olive oil.

Paul,
Is Dutch still around? Tried to check out his website but, it's down.I understand he had a very effective system.
Thanks
John Ezra

rd97 said:

Typical anti-freeze is toxic enough to cause serious health problems.

Dan

Latest posts

Back