• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beartrap

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i have read that crisco shortening makes a good patch lube and i was wondering if this is true as i have had a hard time makeing a good patch lube. also would canola oil work?? hopefully some of you out there will be able to give me a good recipe on easy to make patch lube. thank you.

What I use is 3 parts olive oil to one part bees wax. It makes a great patchlube, a fantastic leather protector and even cures chapped lips.

Basically, if I use 18 ounces (liquid measurement) of olive oil I toss in 6 ounces (third of a pound) of beeswax. Heat it up...put it in container and let it cool. I've used it for years, it's fairly cheap and works great.

Beeswax and olive oil.
You have to use an oil that won't go rancid and I think olive oil is the only kind.
Beeswax has a softer consistency than say, canning wax.
Do a search on here and you will find lots of lube recipes.
Stumpies moose milk and moose snot are very popular but I have never made any.

Huntin

i have read that crisco shortening makes a good patch lube and i was wondering if this is true as i have had a hard time makeing a good patch lube. also would canola oil work?? hopefully some of you out there will be able to give me a good recipe on easy to make patch lube. thank you.

I used Crisco when I first started bp shooting back in '69. I also used it in the inline I bought a few years back. In fact I never use(d) it for cooking, just for patches. It was always messy, but it worked.

When I bought my flintlock longrifle last year, I pulled out my trusty little can of crisco and it smelled a little funny. I went ahead and melted some and soaked some patches in it. Then I threw out the Crisco along with the patches. It was rancid.

Now I use Moose Milk and Moose Snot. Works better, it's not as messy and doesn't go rancid. Do a search on Moose Snot and/or Moose Milk and you'll find the recipe for it. It's a Stumpkiller recipe and just about everyone who mixes some up uses it. Give it a shot. It's top notch stuff!
:imo:

Castor oil doesn't turn rancid.

Heck no it don't,, it COME'S that way,,, I remember when I was a young-en, My Grandmother would make me drink a spoon full if I stub my toe,, and every thing else,,,,

I have used crisco, and it worked just fine but was very messy, now i use ballistol and love it, works great as patch lube and to clean the gun when I'm done! :m2c: :thumbsup: :redthumb:

What is ballistol? Where do you get it? Is it a natural product or a petrolium base?

What is ballistol? Where do you get it? Is it a natural product or a petrolium base?

Ballistol.jpg

BALLISTOL is a far better lubricant than most, if not all, other so-called gun oils. One of the worst sins of most common "gun oils" is that they gum up and harden relatively fast. They become sticky and gluey and can dangerously interfere with the proper mechanical function of a firearm. BALLISTOL WILL POSITIVELY NEVER GUM UP OR HARDEN.

For hand loaders: BALLISTOL is an excellent case sizing lubricant. Cases won't get stuck in the reloading dies and when you wipe them off, they will be cleaned of dirt and oxide.

Most lubricants do not mix with water. They separate from water and thus lose their capability to lubricate in the presence of water. Not so with BALLISTOL. BALLISTOL emulsifies with water and is, therefore, capable of lubricating in the presence of water, like a boring or cutting oil. BALLISTOL can also be applied to things that are already wet, even soaked, including plastics, wood and leather.

Firearms Use:

BALLISTOL dissolves traces of lead, copper, zinc, brass and tombac, which are used to make projectiles and jackets for them. Residues of these metals will remain in the bore of any firearms as a result of shooting jacketed or unjacketed lead projectiles. The use of BALLISTOL makes scraping or brushing the bore unnecessary. Just pour or spray enough into the barrel and chamber, turn the firearm around several times to allow the liquid to reach all parts and let it "go to work". Later, the residues will then completely be cleaned out.

Due to its alkaline character BALLISTOL is ideal for cleaning and maintaining black powder firearms. BALLISTOL eliminates the need for brutal mechanical scrubbing and aggressive solvents.

Track of the wolf carries it...

Here is a direct link...

Track Of The Wolf-BALLISTOL

Hey Swampfox,
Do you use Ballistol straight, or do you mix it with something? Do you have to wipe between shots. I use Lehigh Valley and don't have to.

Hank

Thanks Musketman. I was concerned also if it was petroleum base as I have read several times not to use petroleum based products with BP. Apparently it's not as Track of the Wolf recomends it for BP.

Swampfox, Do you just spray it on your patches?

I also use LeHigh Valley patch lube and swear by the stuff. Burned a whole horn of powder, one shot after another, and never had to wipe the bore. Last shot loaded as easy as the first and the accuracy was consistant throughout.
Ballistol is the cleaner I use. Water only rarely is used to clean the bore, maybe once a year before storage. Both Ballistol and LeHigh Vally seem to last forever!

Britches

I use the concentrate and mix it 50-50 with water, put it in a spray bottle and spray it directly on the patches as i use them.

I use Mink oil from Track of the wolf, and I went from 4" groups at 100 yards to 2" groups. :front:

About the easyest patch lube to make is Superflints cat whiz.It is sum slick stuff.First time i shot it i was usen too much,my fingers got so slick i kept dropen them little 36 peas on the ground when tryen to load.Next time i used it more sparenly and just dampened the patch.Loads easy and shoots pretty accurate.Since he has post the brew a couple times i hope he dont mind if i tell you ::
90% rubben alkey
olive oil
whitch hazel
murphys oil soap
Mix all parts equally,thats whats good about it besides shooten good.You can make as little as ya want or as much.Just mix 1+1+1+1=good patch lube :thumbsup:

Back