• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PATCHBOX DOOR RELEASES

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN ZUREKI

36 Cal.
Reaction score
MR. MIKE BROOKS, I VERY MUCH ENJOYED YOUR TUTORIAL ON BUILDING FROM A BLANK. WHEN YOU WERE INSTALLING THE PATCH BOX, YOU MENTIONED THAT YOU WOULD IN THE FUTURE, EXPLAIN THE RELEASE THAT YOU USED ON THAT RIFLE. WOULD YOU BE SO KIND THAT WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE POST A PICTURE OF WHAT THE RELEASE LOOKS LIKE. THE BOX THAT I'M WORKING ON CALLS FOR SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE BUTTON AND ROD THRU THE COMB OF THE BUTT PLATE OR THE CAM OVER RELEASE ETC.... A SINGLE PICTURE WOULD A BIG HELP. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. JZ

It's a simple homemade "L" shaped nail thats driven into the stock. There's a corresponding hole in the lid that the nail head fits inside of. When the door is closed it forces the nail back untill the nail snaps forward and the underside of the "L" holds the lid down. To open it you just push the nail head back untill the lid spring pops the door open.

pbr23.jpg

Is this what you are talking about Mike? :grin:

Davy

Mike and Dave, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. That is exactly what I was looking for. Best to you both in the new year. JZ

PIKELAKE said:
Mike and Dave, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. That is exactly what I was looking for. Best to you both in the new year. JZ

Pike please note the enlarged hole drilled a ways down into the stock ... this is for pin freedom & flexibility to move back and forth to facilitate the spring action that allows release of the patchbox lid. :thumbsup:

Davy

Okay I see how it will open the lid. Now how does it close the lid. Looks like the nail will spring under the lid with know way to get it back to the hole so you can close the lid????? A little taper on the nail and the lid????
Fox :thumbsup:

block44.jpg
pbz.jpg

In a word yes ... you do not need a huge lip to hold the lid either .. so a taperd thin catch will suffice as long as you do NOT have Ford truck suspension spring on the lid! :hmm: :shocked2:

Davy

Looks good that flat top nail just didn't look right. Second picture explains it much better. Thanks.
Fox :thumbsup:

Let me ask a sort of related question; on a patch box that is hinged on the side, where does the spring to pop it open go? And could you use the same type of release on it?
THANKS TC

A variation of the nail method can be seen in this picture.

I used a piece of flat spring steel with the outer end bent at 90 degrees. I soldered a small block of brass to this spring and cut a trench in the butt of the stock wood for the spring to live in.

CanoeGun16.jpg
[/img]
I added some little grooves to the brass piece so it would be easier for the thumb to push.

zonie :)

Well, I got the picture of what it looks like and the way it opperates, now lets find out what you make this catch out of. In the shop today, I tried a masonary nail, then apiece of drill rod, then I sawed off a piece of leaf spring and worked with that... a lot of work and nothing I was happy with. The piture that Davey posted looks like the catch might be brass. I know you don't need much flex, so brass might work. I am just putting too much into this. There is probably something quite simple that I hav'nt keyed in on. Terrific rifle Mr. Brooks. I have a piece of spring steel that mic's at .032 I"ll try that but then I have to figure the knob on top. Can't silver solder something cause there goes the spring. So simple, yet so involved. Life is too short. Thanks for reading this.

The last 4 LRs had side opening PBs and the button and rod are below the BP tang. The opening spring runs parallel w/ the hinge and slightly outboard of the knuckles to gain some leverage. I form the knuckles w/ a riveted flange and the end of the spring bears on one of the flanges...Fred

I probably made that nail out of some 1/8" flat stock laying around the shop. Any mild steel will work, as there is very little travel involved with the catch.

Thank you Mr. Brooks and every one else that offered info on the latch. I think I tried to make more out of it than it really is. Zonie, I think you were a postin while I was a typin. Forgot I had some sheet spring, will try to work something up tonite. Thanks again.

Back