• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patchbox Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greymount

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am attempting to build a Early York Longrifle (1770-1780) and am trying to find out what would be a correct commercially purchased brass patchbox to use on this project. Would a Lancaster "Daisey" style box such as a "H. Lechler" work. I saw a York County patchbox(PB-Kit 6) in Track and Order # 10580 in Muzzleloader Builders Supply but am not sure if this fits the timeperiod of the rifle. Iam looking for something to fit both the style and timeperiod of the rifle.

Why not go to Shumway's book or RCA and look at pictures of some York County hardware?

:results:

greymount,
hang in there you will get a lot of opinions on your ????
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

If you have time to make your decision, you might consider buying Gunsmiths of York County by James B. Whisker, Ph.D.. Dixie has it, or you could order it on the web, or thru a local book store.

Looking thru the photos in this book, the Daisie (very similar to the Lancaster style) was popular.
The other style that seems to have been popular is a stylized "A" used by, among others, Jacob Sell (1765-1848) and Fredreick Sell (1781-1869).

Muzzleloaders Builders Supply has 2 patchboxes which fit this form.
One they say is a Frederick Sell, and the other is a Jacob Albright (Northumberland Co.). These are pierced boxes so be prepaired for some work.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I too am building a York Rifle that I hope to make reasonably correct for 1775. I've done a fair amount of research toward that ideal.

I think that the most correct patchbox for the period that you mention is the sliding wooden cover. I think that any brass boxes would have been very simple without any side panels. The brass boxes that Kindig dates to pre rev war look crude.

I tend to accept the argument that Peter Alexander makes in The Gunsmith of Greenville County. He argues that other than barrel length little distinguished the longrifle from Germanic Jaeger until after the war.

I have Whisker's book, Gunsmiths of York County and Shumway's book on Schreyer. Neither book shows many examples that can be reliably dated to pre war.

I plan on getting Rifles in Colonial America, but so far, the 100 price tag for volumes 1 and 2 have delayed my plans.

My York will have a sliding wood box with the simplest of carving with the earliest features I can identify. I hope I get these details right, but I'll probably make many mistakes. That's the nature of trying to reconstruct an artifact from a past age with few surviving examples.

Good luck with your project.

Michael

I have a walnut Roman nosed stock, possibly a Hatfield. There was a sticker in the trigger guard that said made in Italy. I'm looking for the brass patch box. It resembles a Hawkin patch box, not the large square one that extends to the butt plate. All brass hardware, double set triggers and stock all have the # 82 stamped on them. I'd like to finish this gun for a Christmas present for my grandson.I've checked with TOW and Dixie, but nothing so far.If any one has any info on this please email me. Pics are available of the inlet if needed. Thanks Bushwhacker

Why didnt you say anything about you needing that patch box cover? We could have already had it built and put on that little gun for Brayden.

Back