• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonehunter

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to the range today, I have always used conicles, Well today I bought some round balls,@ pillow ticking,Patches(I cut) were a little big but I got good groups,question is how long do the patches stay with the ball?? when I looked for them to see if I was burning through I did not find a single patch.Is that because they were cut to big and never let go or what? :hmm:

Most of the time a patch is free from the ball in 5 or so feet and will land 20-25 feet in front of the muzzle. Depending upon how hard and from what direction the wind is blowing they could be closer, farther, and off to either side of the line of fire. Ticking can be tough to see if the grass is a little high but then again so can the all white ones that I am so fond of.

Them being big did not stop them from falling of the ball. Have some one watch your muzzle when you shoot, they should see about were they fell. Dilly

There is an old truism about tracking: If you don't know what you are looking for, you won't see it!

The same holds true the first time you are looking for patches. Unless you have someone standing behind or to the side of you where they can easily see the patches in the smoke in front of your barrel, and follow the patches to the ground, Its pretty hard for the shooter to have any clue WHERE to look, or What to look for. Most new "lookers" are expecting the patches to fall too close to their muzzle. They never go out far enough from the bench, or firing line, to find the patches.

Watch someone else shoot a MLer to see where their patches land, and that will give you a much better understanding of where to be looking for your own patches. 25-30 feet in front of the muzzle is just not that unusual. I usually find mine about 15 feet in front of my muzzle, however. It depends on wind direction and wind speed. Most modern people don't ever pay attention to the wind, much less these key elements.

When you get to the range, bend over, and pick up a handful of dried grass, or dust, or dried dirt, stand up, and then hold your hand out, and above your head and drop the contents into the air. See what direction the dust is blowing, and how far from vertical it falls. That will give you wind direction, and an idea of wind speed, to help you locate your patches.

Yes, you will get your hands dirty doing this. take a bottle of water, and some towels in your car or truck whenever you go to the range. a small bottle of liquid soap works wonders for cleaning up before you get back into your car at the end of the session.

yep, what runnball and the others said. I shot today with new self made patches and actually saw a few fall or blow to the side in the wind as I fired. 20-25 feet out. I was collecting them to look for burn through, etc.

Good luck from a rookie!

Steve

....and a neat high speed photo of a PRB in action. At around 20 inches from the muzzle the patch and ball separate.

pic201l.jpg

This is a pic from another site. If there is a problem with it being posted, please delete my post.

Steve

You could always dye a few dozen patches bright colors like hunters orange or yellow with clothes dye, then you will see them stand out against the darker ground. (unless it's Autumn) :haha:

Once you recovered a few, go back to the un-dyed patches.

Or just place a few old bed sheets out in front of your shooting area to collect the fallen patches, eather way works.

actually the dying idea is a cool one. I almost always find it hard to find my spent patches. Mostly cause there are so many laying around. It'd be nice to get a history.

StevePrice2 said:
....and a neat high speed photo of a PRB in action. At around 20 inches from the muzzle the patch and ball separate.

pic201l.jpg

This is a pic from another site. If there is a problem with it being posted, please delete my post.

Steve
Great Pic!!

ciffer said:
what can be learned from examining the used patches?

The patch should remain in one piece with only the outer edges slightly frayed. It should not have holes in it. Holes could mean that the patches are being cut by the barrel. If the patch is burned thru it could mean that it's too thin or lacking lube.

Make an effort to find some of your shot patches and see what they look like. GW

What the others have said is true , get someone else to watch them .
If that fails or can't be done then you need to come up here to WI. We have just recieved 7 new inches of the white stuff , shooting over it showes you a lot about what's going on when you shoot . Patches are real easy to find when they are lying on top the white snow .
Just my 2 cents

Grey Whiskers said:
ciffer said:
what can be learned from examining the used patches?

The patch should remain in one piece with only the outer edges slightly frayed. It should not have holes in it. Holes could mean that the patches are being cut by the barrel. If the patch is burned thru it could mean that it's too thin or lacking lube.

Make an effort to find some of your shot patches and see what they look like. GW

good to know. i have looked at patches before, mainly looking at the outer edge for black marks. from what i have been told, if the entire area around the edge was blackened it indicated that the patch was not sealing the gas charge. i experienced this during the breif perior that i was firing FFFg in my .50 cals, after switching to FFg i no longer hard that problem.

If you cut your patches at the muzzle they will be the right size every time, except when you accidently start the ball 2" down the barrel, then you end up with a sail instead of a patch. You can sure find those pretty easy though.

A shot patch that did its job will have tattered edges but will clearly show where the ball was engaging the rifling.
This area of engagement should not have any rips, tares or burns on it. Burns in this area indicate that the patch was leaking gas while tares or rips indicate that somewhere between starting to load the ball and the ball exiting the muzzle something sharp was causing problems.
If burns are the only problem it can often be fixed by increasing the ball diameter or the patch thickness.
Trying a different patch lube will sometimes help (but not fix) a burned patch problem.

A gun who's patch has damage in this critical area will never shoot well until the problem is fixed.

The center of the patch may look almost unused to very darkly stained but it should never look charred.
If it does look charred in the center area it usually indicates a lack of lubricant.

Back