• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patent breach

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt85 said:
Dan Phariss said:
69 caliber barrel with a 1:56 twist that causes him no problems with charges over 180 gr.

holy cra....!

sorry to drag us off topic but 180 grains of powder under a 69 cal projectile sounds like trying to shoot a howetzer from the shoulder! i cant imagine the level of pain and bruising this would cause...

i fired a patched .685 ball over 90 grains of 2F out of my 1842 rifled musket once. the recoil was on par with a 12 gauge 3 1/2" magnum buckshot load outa a short barreled mossberg... i will never do either of those again!

90 grains in the two band version is plenty for me but I only use that load for felling trees, feral Peterbuilts and marauding zepplins.
Too bad it's not a flintlock.

I've been busy since I posted to this topic until now. Lots of interesting information.

Dan Phariss said:
This is a Nock. I have been told in England its the only patent breech.

There are others. Few percussions look and this and I know of no Nock breeches other than on custom guns. They are not, so far as I know available other wise.
The Nock will not work with low grade powder. At least mine does not and it has a .175 hole to the antechamber.
I have never had a problem with Swiss. Even if blowing in the bore the dampen the fouling.

P1010923.jpg

P1010922.jpg

FlintBreeches001-1.jpg

These are plain breeches from my 50 cal Swivel and these are simply drilled back to allow a vent to be drilled into the powder chamber.
IMGP1079.jpg

This is the percussion patent breech from a Browning Mountain Rifle.

BrowningBreech4.jpg

Its the only percussion I have a photo of. Its not a particularly good percussion breech threads too long and its cross drilled and the hole plugged to give nipple flash access to the powder.

The best of them have a shorter threaded shank and are drilled at an angle to the base of the nipple. Track of The Wolf calls this "direct drilled" I believe.
Since these are invariably hooked to allow quick removal of the barrel for cleaning by submerging the breech in a container of water or pouring water through without wetting the stock.
My Nock breech cleans up very easily in this manner and the antechamber is always spotless the random times I pull the left side plug to check it.

Dan

First off, thanks for the photos. Second, the drawing I posted was a general layout of how a patent breach is generally designed not a specific design. Third, what little research I've done on the subject has turned up the following British gun makers that were so proud of their version of the patent breach that they included drawings of it on their trade labels that they included in their boxed sets. From this list I have to assume there were more.

Nock
Forsyth
Manton
Beckwith
Mortimer
Clark
Bond

Back