• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patent Breech Investarms Hawken failures to fire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree. I’ve been shooting flintlocks since 1979. But you do you.
I have been shooting flintlocks and percussion guns since 1952, when my grandfather showed me that loading technique thumping the stock.
He also taught me the difference between the two. Priming powder in the pan and up against the flash hole of a flintlock can slow ignition. There is no flash hole with a percussion gun but a flash channel and powder there gives the best ignition.

Isn't it great, TDM. They keep coming up with new products that are just as unavailable as the old ones we would like get.
Seems as if we all need to have our own youtube channels to promo new firearms products. Those guys always have all the supplies they need so they can encourage us to buy what we can't get.
Maybe Winchester should just sell us the components with a kit so we can help em out. SW

Yup, I had two hang fires in one shooting session with my New Englander when using 2F 777 and a CCI #11 cap. Never had that happen before or after with 3F black powder.

It simply needs a little more spark with 777 than what a standard nipple provides.
I am no one, an authority on nothing, a person with limited knowledge. But I have never understood why Tripe 7 or any substitute powder sells. If you like black powder guns, why desire or buy what didn't even exist when muzzleloaders were all that was available. Maybe people buy it because they are not really into muzzleloaders but wants one to take advantage of the season, and can easily buy the fake stuff at most sporting goods stores. But to someone wanting to experience history and who loves guns and items used in bygone years, I have to ask why lessen the experience on the most basic and significant level of the blackpowder era, which is blackpowder. I mean using substitute powder in a blackpowder rifle is like rebuilding a classic car to original condition and installing a joystick driving controller. Okay, not the best analogy and people should definitely do as they please without checking with me. I should not have felt a need to say all that. No offense intended.

Back