• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pawn shop find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SainthoodDenied

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally made a visit to the local gun & pawn just down from where I work and was actually impressed by their gun selection but only saw a couple C&B revolvers, one Ruger and one Lyman 1860 army. A couple Garands,M1 carbines and quite a few other nice things to make me drool,even a brand new 1872 open top colt reproduction from Taylors but no muzzleloaders in the racks.
Then I rounded the end of the shelves behind me and there was a rack of about 15, all inlines but 3. In the middle of the rack was 3 T/C renegades.
Wierd part was the prices. The best looking one was 199.50 a 50 cal, another 50 cal for 299.50 then a 54 cal for 349.50. Strange thing is the one for 199 was by far the best one in the rack,almost new looking,stock lock barrel and everything,just 2 small dings on the stock.
The one for 349 was actually a kit built gun.
That's when I saw the sign hanging above them. "all black powder guns 20% off"
So any way after talking him down another 20 bucks I walked out with a almost brand new 50 cal T/C renegade for 140 bucks
I can't wait till Saturday, Since moving here 6 months ago I finally found a BP club in my area that's range is only 20 minutes away and they have 2 shoots a month, one being this weekend :grin: I can hardly wait.

Chad

Wow. Nice find. The pawnshops here locally usually want new prices for firearms. Cant figure out why anybody would buy a pawned gun when they could get a new one at the same cost. GW

I've had good luck at pawn shops a few times, mostly because where I grew up there just wasn't anyone looking there for muzzleloaders I guess. The best was 4 C&B revolvers and a Euroarms enfield artillery carbine back years ago.
The guy had them priced high so every couple weeks when I was in there I'd look at and handle them a little to let him know I was interested but every time he asked if I was ready for one I'd say they were a little high since I was in the hobby and knew where to buy and trade for guns like that at better deals. After warming his shelves for 4 months I walked in one day and he asked me to make an offer on them all. I gave him a lowball price I'd pay for them and to my suprise he took it, said he was tired of looking at them.

Chad

If one is in the right area where muzzleloaders are not that popular, one can get some good deals on used guns.

I picked up this TC with a .45 32 inch Orion bbl and a older .50 Sile nipple rifle for 350 bucks+tax at a local gun shop a couple years ago. I was told they had been sitting there for a long time.

right.jpg

left.jpg

It's great ,ain't it? After watching a 50 cal perc. Lyman Trade sit on the back wall of the local pawn shop for about a month, I got it for 80 bucks. Everybody wanted the inlines and not the sidelocks, Duh!

The world of a pawnshop has a different economy as it is merchendice is only dollars and cents. Often things are bartered it is just you have to literally catch em in the right frame of mind and time. I have got a couple of nice guns at pawn shops for really no money that required minor repair other times not so good. I am finding it hard to find a good tc sidelock in central illinois when it was common a few years ago to get a nice tc for 100-200 dollars. would like to find a nice renegade stock and lock even with a bad barrel for a green mtn barrel that you can haggle down because of condition.

Most pawn shops base their prices on how long something is on the shelf. If you ask how long they have had something , then subtract 5% per week for your offer, you might get a good deal. Don't be afraid to make a low ball offer , these guys don't pay much for their stock, and it's usually on the shelf because someone else owes them money. They will take what they can get.

Dealing with a pawn shop is like dealing with a used car lot, don't ever offer more than half what they are asking. I'm personally very Leary of used muzzleloaders unless I know the original owner. Every second hand ML I've ever bought has had a damaged bore, either pitted by rust or "ringed" from being fired with a bullet not fully seated. If I buy a used muzzleloader it is with the expectation that it will have to be rebarreled.

Pawn shops (in my area anyway) will give no more than 25% of new value when something is pawned, 10% is closer then they try to sell for 50% or more of new value. As stated shelf time has a definate affect on price as does desirability of the article. The last two side lock muzzleloaders that I bought were $50.00 each because the shop took them on pawn as a favorto a customer that they never saw again. Most shops in this area won't take a side lock in pawn as they can't sell them.

Latest posts

Back