• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Brown Bess ?’s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why? They are safe, and reliable, and the consensus is the Pedersolis aren't historically accurate either, so why pay $1000 extra?

If you had to make the choice of the Indian gun pr nothing, what would it be?

The issue with Indian guns isn’t necessarily safety, it’s longevity of the the lock components. The durability of the springs and mating surfaces is of concern. Additionally, the guns are nearly all made with non-interchangeable parts that were fitted to each piece. When a part wears out, good luck finding a new one. With a Pedersoli, a quick email and you’ll have a new one on its way and will be a drop in replacement fit.

I'm surprised no one has said get a Kibler fowler...
I am as well. But for me, it comes down to saying I have a Brown Bess, vs just having a fowling piece. Not taking anything away from Jim. But I like the idea of owning a replica Brown Bess. Albeit it's not 100% accurate, its close enough for me.

Why? They are safe, and reliable, and the consensus is the Pedersolis aren't historically accurate either, so why pay $1000 extra?

If you had to make the choice of the Indian gun pr nothing, what would it be?
With all due respect, I’ve found the Indian guns to be anything but reliable. I’ve got first-hand experience, and a fair amount of tweaking is typically equired to have a firearm that functions as it should.

Pedersoli quality -though not perfect- is head and shoulders above the Indian-made guns. Period.

Yeah it's tough to say. A grand these days is two months of car payments for the average American, so I reckon some folks gotta figure out what's more important. Freedom to spend money, or their awesome jacked up F150 that nobody cares about 😂

I have the mindset of you get what you pay for, so if it's got a $900 price tag on it vs a $1600 price tag. I'll probably take the latter. I don't mean any offense with this comment by the way.

You’re absolutely right about the “you get what you pay for” bit. Early on in my muzzleloading journey, I purchased some cheaper guns because I was impatient and didn’t want to have to wait and save my pennies for something that was better quality. In the end, I had to spend a substantial amount of money getting those cheaper firearms to function as they should. They often had issues like bad lock geometry, inadequately hardened frizzens, and poor inletting.

Buy once, cry once.

With all due respect, I’ve found the Indian guns to be anything but reliable. I’ve got first-hand experience, and a fair amount of tweaking is typically equired to have a firearm that functions as it should.

Pedersoli quality -though not perfect- is head and shoulders above the Indian-made guns. Period.
But is "head and shoulders" equal to over a thousand dollars and over twice the price?

Especially for something you plan to tote through the woods, use in reenactments stacked in camp and lay around in a hunting blind?

Do you own one of the Indian guns, which one and from which distributor? It may help me decide which way to go on this.

But is "head and shoulders" equal to over a thousand dollars and over twice the price?

Especially for something you plan to tote through the woods, use in reenactments stacked in camp and lay around in a hunting blind?
You may be asking the wrong guy, but I’d have to respond with a resounding “Yes”!

As someone who’s had the opportunity to own both and compare, I feel as though I’m sufficiently qualified to make that assertion.

If reasonably well taken care of, the Pedersoli has the potential to last you a lifetime, and -as has already been mentioned- there’s support and parts replacement/repair available— something not offered on the Indian guns. I guess you have to ask yourself whether this hobby is just a passing fancy, or if it’s here to stay. Do you want a weekend plaything or a quality firearm?

Last edited:
The issue with Indian guns isn’t necessarily safety, it’s longevity of the the lock components. The durability of the springs and mating surfaces is of concern. Additionally, the guns are nearly all made with non-interchangeable parts that were fitted to each piece. When a part wears out, good luck finding a new one. With a Pedersoli, a quick email and you’ll have a new one on its way and will be a drop in replacement fit.
That is a good point, but the fact you could buy three of the Indian Muskets for the price of one Pedersoli. means the Pedersoli would have to last three times as long to break even.

You may be asking the wrong guy, but I’d have to respond with a resounding “Yes”!

As someone who’s had the opportunity to own both and compare, I feel as though I’m sufficiently qualified to make that assertion.
Which model of Indian musket did you own and from which distributor? What problems did you have with it other than general appearance?

That thing is Purdy! Do you load a patch down with that .735 ball?
Thank you! I do load a patch (.010-015 pillow ticking lubed with buffalo tallow), but it’s not absolutely necessary. That’s the thing about smoothbores: everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial.

Get the Pedersoli Brown Bess, or a kit from Dixie Gun Works. you cant go wrong.
I built my Bess Carbine from a Pederdoli kit, from Dixie.

Dave

Attachments

• 20221027_111548.jpg
    20221027_111548.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
You’re absolutely right about the “you get what you pay for” bit. Early on in my muzzleloading journey, I purchased some cheaper guns because I was impatient and didn’t want to have to wait and save my pennies for something that was better quality. In the end, I had to spend a substantial amount of money getting those cheaper firearms to function as they should. They often had issues like bad lock geometry, inadequately hardened frizzens, and poor inletting.

Buy once, cry once.
Couldn’t have said it better myself!

Dixie is a bit cheaper at the moment, than muzzle-loaders.com :)

I say I'm not too picky on the historical background on it, but here I am kind of about to eat my own words. I like the Bess specifically because of its history, and its time in the Colonies and the whole romanticized history of it is a huge selling point. As far as fowlers, and trade guns are concerned, eh not as exciting to me lol.
The Pedersoli Bess is not an accurate replica of a Bess. dave_person has discussed the shortcomings in great detail.

I have an old Navy Arms version, but extensively reworked the stock so it now looks more like something a New England gunsmith might have turned out in the years leading up to the Revolutionary War. You can see the differences in my thread under the Gunbuilder forum. You can also find dave_person's posts there.

Plenty has been said about the fact that Pedersoli’s Brown Bess deviates from the genuine article in a number of ways— it’s been discussed ad nauseam. But aside from paying someone to build you a custom example out of Rifle Shoppe parts (or doing the deed yourself), Pedersoli’s really the only game in town.

The heart wants what it wants. If you desire a gun that generally resembles a Brown Bess in form and function, my advice would be to buy a Pedersoli and don’t look back. And let’s not kid ourselves here… it’s actually that .75” bore you’re after, isn’t it?

Last edited:
Back