• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kentucky .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjmcdonald

32 Cal.
Reaction score
While I'm still working on reviving my T/C "Hawken", I found a Pedersoli Kentucky at a gun show and it had to come home with me. The guy had it marked as a Pedersoli Alamo - it wasn't. And .50 cal - it wasn't. Barrel was clearly marked .45 cal. But I think I got a good deal at $400.

It is in very nice shape. It appears to have had little use. A clean patch down the barrel showed the slightest trace of brown. A little cleaning and it looks bright and shiny down there now.

The rod that came with it does not appear to be original. It is a might short. But I've remedied that with an order to TOW. I ordered it long and will have to cut to length and re-install the tips. I also ordered a few other bits and bobs, including .445 balls and patches.

If anyone can help me identify the size/threads for the nipples I'd appreciate it. I like to keep spares on hand.

Got it to a local range today (I'm out of town) and put a few rounds through it. Groups fairly well (~2") at 25 yards with 40 grains FFFG and .10 pre-oiled patches. Still work to do on load development but I attribute 2 fliers to the jerk next to me shooting an AK type semi-auto rifle that kept flinging hot shell casings on me.

In any case, if anyone has one of these I appreciate any advice or tips you could share. I'm simply excited to have her. I've gone from one rusty old T/C in the back of the safe to two muzzleloaders that are getting some much needed TLC in the span of a couple months. I'm now a PRB addict!

Paul

Congrat's on your new gun.

The best way to find out what size threads the nipple has is to go to a local hardware or auto parts store.

Most hardware stores sell metric nuts and bolts and they can measure the threads on your nipple.

That goes for auto parts stores too.
They have the guages needed to measure the threads and tell you what you have.

Congrats on the find, good deal! :thumbsup: Nipples for that particular gun should be a standard 1/4-28. I myself like and use hot shot nipples from TOW. Always keep a few spares in the bag just in case. Enjoy!

Finally got her to the range for some quality time today. Best recipe was 60 g 3F BP sub, .445 ball, .008 patch, coconut oil patch lube. Got the patches a little too slick, I think. Flyer low was first round down range.

This was at 25 yards. Not nearly as tight at 50. Partly dur to guy pulling the trigger!

Paul

]Target[/url]

Also, thoughts on re-shaping the brass buttplate? The top occassionaly digs my shoulder. Took a nasty jab to collarbone. I'm 6'5", 250 lb. The shape appears it would fit a smaller shooter just fine but I have trouble nestling it in tight.

]Pedersoli Kentucky stock[/url]

The butt plate should not be against the shoulder like a modern weapon. That crescent butt plate is designed to be against the arm right below the shoulder. It should fit perfect against the arm.

Bob

Thanks. Still learning. I'm used to modern firearms where the stock is tucked in tight to the shoulder. Guess I need to re-learn form with these rifles too.

I will also likely have a nice bruise on my cheekbone too. Was always taught to have a solid cheek weld to the stock. Got a few kicks on my cheek telling me I've not quite got the hold right.

Paul

I am roughly the same size as you tho a few added pounds in the post smoking era ... but I will say that a lengthened stock will help with both problems

I usually install a lace up leather butt pad for the length and it makes my check stay off the smakin line. I also use the extra length for a better hold with my long arms so that will help as well.

that plate [if you are muscled like myself] is not going to fit no matter where you hold it [unless you try to nestle it on your elbo] HA ... na that lace up pad helps me immensely. they sell em at TOW and BUFF arms and I think Mid USA. used to anyway. pretty cheap for a comfy shooter tho.

Back