• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kentucky Flintlock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Wolf

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone out there has this rifle and can tell me how to remove the barrel from the stock.Unscrewing the tang screw is obvious,and there's a pin mid-way down the stock that I'm sure needs to be removed,but it's pretty small-what tool needs to be used to avoid any damage to the stock and/or the pin?

Randy,

I have a Pedersoli/Dixie Cub Rifle that I removed the stock from,should be the same as the Kentucky.

The pins do need to be removed. I took a finishing nail with the pin diamter being a little smaller than the pins and filed it square on the end and then tapped the pins out with the nail and a small hammer while the rifle was laying on a soft surface.

I don't know if it really matters but I tapped mine out from left to right,left being the side opposite the Lock and when I replaced them I tapped them in from right to left.

If the Kentucky is like the Dixie Cub there is also a pin in the Nosecap that will have to be removed.

I have the Dixie/Pedersoli Pennsylvania (Pennsyltucky?) rifle which I believe is similar to yours. It has two pins through the stock plus the pin through the nosecap. I use a 1/16" punch to push out the pins. Works very well.

Llewlnman, how is the flint life on your Cub? I think our locks are interchangeable. Mine eats 'em and I haven't yet had the time to tune it per instructions which were so kindly given me by one of the members here.

Acorn Mush,

Yeah, It seems to be pretty hard on Flints.

I have a couple of other flinters and they don,t seem to chew up the flints like the Cub does.I use Fullers English Flints, I don't know if there are others out there that might have a better life but I do get get ignition with the Fullers so I haven't tried any others.

I have never really kept count of the number of shots per Flint but definitely not as many as my other Flintlocks.

I have the Pedersoli-made Pennsylvania Rifle. It shoots well but I too have the experience that it is tough on flints. I bought mine used and was going through flints every few shots. I ended up using longer Fuller flints than recommended and replaced the frizzen. DGW carries frizzens and you may have to do slight fitting. The Pedersoli frizzens seem a little too soft IMHO and the flints chew them up rather quickly. I set the flints so that they are just a hair away from the frizzen while at half cock. It vexes me that the top jaw on Pedersoli locks always want to screw down a little off kilter even after replacement. I don't have the same problem with my other flinters but like the Pedersoli for it's looks and the way it shoots all the same.

Your lock sounds like my Blue Ridge. I get more shots out of the manmade ones. Eats the natural ones up. Dilly

Can you recommend a source for manmade flints?

Several years ago there was a small outfit named Elkk Enterprises in Veture, CA that sold artificial flints under the name "Dura-flint". As I wasn't really into shooting flinters then, I didn't bother to pick one up. Wish I had. A friend who is an AVID flint shooter got one at the time and still uses it in his Siler lock! My attempts to contact the company have been unsuccessful so I guess they are out of business.

I googled "dura flint" and came up with following info.

PO BOX 871
Port Hueneme, CA 93044

Phone: 1-800-796-2762 or
Phone: 1-805-382-1817

Email Elkk Enterprises

Thanks for the info on the manmade flints my blue ridge rifle in 36 cal should be here by UPS tomorrow , I can hardly wait

I have a new Penn flint and it was hell to just pull the trigger and wait while the set trigger got around to chaseing flys and "lowering it -self on down the frizzen and YA it is hard but my kid has shot 37 shots so far everyone went off first time. Paul gave me a mess of things to do to it to get it right ...I polished the spring takeing very little metal off ( I mean VERY little) that keeps it closed and it's fast and slick as deer guts on a ....ect Fred :hatsoff: (paulvallandigham knows how to make these things sing) :grin:

Paulvallandigham was kind enough to send me a link to his lock-tuning info after one of my first posts on this forum. I really appreciated it. As of yet I have not had the time to give them a try but hope I can in the near future.

Thanks to Rogue River for the info on Elkk Enterprises. The phone numbers appear to be the same ones I have tried calling at various times over the last couple of years, but I will give them another try on Monday.

I just called both the numbers you provided. The 800 number merely referred me to another number for "stimulating conversation". Hmmmm. Not caring to avail myself of that I called the 805 number which appears to be a personal phone number of an older gentleman. Oh well........ .

I guess Elkk Enterprises is de-funct.

Thanks anyway for the info Rogue River.

Latest posts

Back