• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Pennyslvania

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am currently thinking about purchasing another muzzle loader after x-mas bills are all paid off. Anyway the one I am currently considering is a Pedersoli Pennyslvania Rifle. I was curious of anyone's opinion on this particular rifle as I have not handled one yet. I will probably purchase one on my way to my folks house over spring break and a stop in good old Union, TN. But until I get up to Dixie Gun Works and fondle one, I was curious what you all think. Caliber wise I was probably going .50 or .45

I own a Dixie Penn. longrifle( made by Pedersoli) It is VERY accurate, mine is the 45 cal. flinter. The lock on mine was so screwed up I had to send the lock back to Dixie to get it fixed. When I first bought it, the frizzen would not close without a large gap over the pan which leaked lots of powder. They fitted the frizzen so there was no gap but then the top jaw hit the frizzen at half cock without a flint in it. I was so ******, I learned how to tune the lock myself by trial and error. I rebent the hammer and had to grind off part of the top jaw so it didn't hit anymore. Long story short: It shoots great now. Be very wary of their locks. It is the 2nd Pedersoli I bought. The first one was the 1803 Harpers ferry pistol. That lock was UNSHOOTABLE without working on it.. The guns are well built, decent wood to metal fit, nice stocks. But watch the locks!

My lock on my blue ridge 32 eats flints, have to use manmade ones to get many shots. Will tune it one day. Dilly

I have the Pedersoli Pennsylvania flint rifle in .45 and it's a great shooter. The rifling is shallow and a 1:48 twist and prefers larger balls and thinner patches for the best accuracy. I'm using a .450 RB and a .010 patch with between 50gr - 70gr 3f.

I have mixed feelings about mine- the fit and finish is high standard, and when it shoots it is very fast and accurate.
I have a lot of ongoing issues with reliable sparking however- I intend to have someone tune the lock after Xmas.
In general tho I am happy with it.
Mine is a .45.
Flintlock006.jpg

I have replaced the frizzen on mine as it seems the hardening didn't go very deep on the original one. I plan on rehardening the old frizzen and keep it as a spare.

I have this one in .45....[url] http://cherrys.com/pedpics/s272b.jpg[/url]

I have never had a bit of trouble with it. The pan/frizzen fit is perfect, sparks every time, ignition is very fast. Also supremely accurate. Not HC, but still nice looking, very good fit and finish, great shooter. I also have thier .54 Kentucky pistol and use to have a Ped Brown Bess. None of them had/have the lock problems mentioned by others. Lock quality has been excellent for me so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned to shoot ML flinters with the Pedersoli Kentucky, which is the shorter version of the Pennsylvania. I'm still very fond of that rifle and have lots of good things to say about it as a factory rifle and introductory gun. However, having now built and shot a Chambers York with a Siler lock, here are two of the main things I notice when I go back to my 'Kentucky':

1) The VERY small lock. Basically it's a pistol lock. I don't know why they did this, as they used a larger lock on the 'Frontier'. The flint for this lock is tiny and I rarely got more than 20 or 30 shots out of one, with knapping required after only a dozen shots or so. The flint on my Chambers lock is still going strong after 80 shots without ever being knapped! Also I notice the much greater strength of the action on the Chambers lock, which produces a shower of sparks even with a dull flint. But, providing you accept the limitations of the Pedersoli lock, which most others who've used it talk about, you can get it to work well and have a lot of fun with it - just have a good supply of flints to hand!

2)The heavy, front-ended barrel. My York is more than six inches longer than my Kentucky, but feels lighter because the barrel is swamped and it's beautifully weighted. The Pennsylvania will be even more front-heavy. But some people like this!

I personally prefer the Pedersoli design more than other factory 'Kentucky' guns, some of which are plain ugly. The Pedersoli design is generic but is supposedly modelled on an original and is broadly in keeping with a rifle of about 1810-1830, I'd say.

You'll get some people on the forum talking about the very small Pedersoli touch holes, but that was only a problem on earlier versions and I don't think you'll need to worry about drilling out the hole to widen it - mine was fine providing it was regularly pricked, like any other touchhole.

Hope you have fun with it!

I purchased the pedersoli pennsylvania 50 cal. rifle from Dixie.I also purchased the pedersoli kentucky 50 cal. pistol for a matching set.
They are of good quality and fire great.
It is true they have the smaller locks. 5/8 flints for both pistol and rifle. You will be ok if you brush the pan and keep the vent hole clean after every shot.
It taks very little powder for the pan.
I found that 3f works better then 2f and 4f.

Thanks for the replies. It is good to hear your experiences with the piece in question. I didn't know that it had a smaller lock on it. Currently I own a custom Indian Trade smoothbore and a old Zoli 1803 Harpers Ferry both in .58 cal. Wasn't sure I wanted to shell out another $800 to $1500 dollars on a custom or semi-custom built rifle. However, with the comments you gentlmen have given me, I might consider saving more cash up and buying an Early Rustic Arms or a TVM rifle instead. Thanks again for the comments and keep your powder dry :hatsoff: !

Gday- I hadn't seen the Early Rustic Arms guns before, they all have a very nice look to them-heaps of character, wonder if I could get one out here in Oz :hmm:

Back