• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli shotgun 12 gauge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello fro, Germany,

I was able to buy a Pedersoli shotgun for about € 200,00. I want to use it with PRB for bush-and drivehunts. Do you know something about choking, loads, etc. Get the gun in 2 weeks.

Regards

Kirrmeister

According to my Dixie catalogue, right barrel is cylinder and left is modified choke. They recommend 72gr FFg and 1-1/8oz shot. :thumbsup:

Kirrmeister, my 12g Pedersoli is choked at about .013 & .024 & does a good job on our mountain Blue Grouse w/ 63gr FF or equal measure of 777 and 1 1/8 oz of 6s.

Make sure it is not choked if you use a round ball. Easy to have fixed if it is.

Sorry to have to disagree with Caplock, but if a PRB will go down the muzzle of your choked barrel, it will come back out without damaging it, also. Some choked barrels fire round balls very accurately. The same thing occurs with modern choked barrels and shot gun slugs. No one really knows why it happens with some guns and not all. My personal theory is that it has much to do about how thin the barrel is, and barrel harmonics( or vibrations) when the gun is fired.

paulvallandigham said:
Sorry to have to disagree with Caplock, but if a PRB will go down the muzzle of your choked barrel, it will come back out without damaging it, also. Some choked barrels fire round balls very accurately. The same thing occurs with modern choked barrels and shot gun slugs. No one really knows why it happens with some guns and not all. My personal theory is that it has much to do about how thin the barrel is, and barrel harmonics( or vibrations) when the gun is fired.

Interesting-- If that is the case, what would be the max choke you would attempt to fire a PRB out of? I would think the seal would be quite poor after the ball pased through the choke. I'm not convinced this could or should be done but I have an open mind.

I allways beleived a 690 ball was intended to be able to pass through full choke. I have had good results through choke. Kermeister are you sure it has choke as mine has not. Mine was made around 1985, a more seriouse concern for me is if it is from that era it,s muzzles may not be finished correctly and hence throw its payload off point of aim in which you will have to aquire a good file as I did and get it on POA. Mine placed ball the same as shot before correction and I have yet to test ball since but I,m hopefull.

caplock said:
What game are you hunting that you plan to use a PRB (patched round ball) on?

Hi caplock,

with shot for ducks and with PRB for roes when drivehunting or bushhubting in the thicket.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister said:
Hello fro, Germany,

I was able to buy a Pedersoli shotgun for about € 200,00. I want to use it with PRB for bush-and drivehunts. Do you know something about choking, loads, etc. Get the gun in 2 weeks.

Regards

Kirrmeister
Kirrmeister, got got it at a steal. Fantastic price, Congratulations. :thumbsup:
May you have many pleasant days with it in your hands.

Christiaan said:
Kirrmeister said:
Hello fro, Germany,

Regards

Kirrmeister
Kirrmeister, got got it at a steal. Fantastic price, Congratulations. :thumbsup:
May you have many pleasant days with it in your hands.

Christiaan,

do you know something about the chokes of the gun?

Kirrmeister

200 bucks? What a deal! E-gun I guess? :grin: What size is 12 gauge - .75 or .72?

Wish you a lot of fun with your new shoulder howitzer, some time ago I saw a small wheeled CANNON with a 12gauge bore. :haha:

I have a 12 gauge singleshot cartridge shotgun from Baikal/Russia. I use also RB in it and there a .715 RB is very accurate up to 50 m. 3 shots with 120 grs WANO PP within 40mm. The RB runs well through the barrel. At the full choke it is a bit calibred, but no problem. Use this shotgun for bushhunt and at close range in the forest.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister Christiaan said:
Usually they are cylinder (no choke) on the right hand barrel and modified (just a slight choke) on the left barrel. But Pedersoli also make shotguns with screw in adjustable chokes. Personally I think multi chokes for the average shooter (like me) is a magnificent solution to a non-existing problem.

You might be interested to know that I spoke to Pierangelo Pedersoli (at the World Shoot here in SA) about a 20ga slug gun and he says it is no problem he will look into it. I think that will be a super smoothbore hunting/fowler combination. They already make the 12ga slug gun.
Enjoy your great buy.......Christiaan

Kirrmeister Christiaan said:
Usually they are cylinder (no choke) on the right hand barrel and modified (just a slight choke) on the left barrel. But Pedersoli also make shotguns with screw in adjustable chokes. Personally I think multi chokes for the average shooter (like me) is a magnificent solution to a non-existing problem.

You might be interested to know that I spoke to Pierangelo Pedersoli (at the World Shoot here in SA) about a 20ga slug gun and he says it is no problem he will look into it. I think that will be a super smoothbore hunting/fowler combination. They already make the 12ga slug gun.
Enjoy your great buy.......Christiaan

caplock said:
I would think the seal would be quite poor after the ball pased through the choke. I'm not convinced this could or should be done but I have an open mind.

Just use your normal over-powder wadding for the seal, and the patch is just to keep the ball centered and not rubbing on the bore. Those who normally use just a few over-shot cards might want to add some sort of cushion (or granular filler) to keep the cards from collapsing around the back of the ball.

Joel

Back