• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Shotgun Film

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I leave my hammer on the cap. Cap needs percussion, a failing half cock notch will provide some percussion.

For added safety have a strip of heavy leather hanging off the trigger guard to rest between cap and hammer/s.

By the way, I have never experienced an ember issue or percussion gun helping itself to go bang in 30+years.
Has anyone here?

B.

Britsmoothy said:
I leave my hammer on the cap. Cap needs percussion, a failing half cock notch will provide some percussion.

For added safety have a strip of heavy leather hanging off the trigger guard to rest between cap and hammer/s.

By the way, I have never experienced an ember issue or percussion gun helping itself to go bang in 30+years.
Has anyone here?

B.
The question of percussion cap and hammers can have accidental dischargers , over 69 years of shooting muzzle loading guns with most types of ignitions I have seen it happen in both originals and repros more so the latter
The method of lowering the hammer to rest on the cap of a loaded gun while the other barrel is fired, what I have witnessed is when the first barrel is fired and the shooter pulls back the hammer of the second barrel it discharges. The reason after examination shows that on most the nose of the hammer was not central to the nipple resulting in it riding down the side of the nipple and when pulled back ground the cap compound which ignited, I have also seen this happen on some original drum and nipple conversions
The strangest accidental discharge I saw was with a pedersoli sxs I was stood next to the shooter and witness everything. The caps he was using were Italian no 11 brass caps the gun mainspring was weak and when he fired there was no ignition ,he pulled back the hammer to full cock with the gun pointing in a safe position then removed the brass percussion cap ,on doing so we notice that the compacted fultimate was lodged on the top of the nipple he then started to remove the compound using his finger nail which was enough to ignite and discharge the gun.
Feltwad

Feltwad said:
Britsmoothy said:

Has anyone here?

B.
The question of percussion cap and hammers can have accidental dischargers , over 69 years of shooting muzzle loading guns with most types of ignitions I have seen it happen in both originals and repros more so the latter
The method of lowering the hammer to rest on the cap of a loaded gun while the other barrel is fired, what I have witnessed is when the first barrel is fired and the shooter pulls back the hammer of the second barrel it discharges. The reason after examination shows that on most the nose of the hammer was not central to the nipple resulting in it riding down the side of the nipple and when pulled back ground the cap compound which ignited, I have also seen this happen on some original drum and nipple conversions
The strangest accidental discharge I saw was with a pedersoli sxs I was stood next to the shooter and witness everything. The caps he was using were Italian no 11 brass caps the gun mainspring was weak and when he fired there was no ignition ,he pulled back the hammer to full cock with the gun pointing in a safe position then removed the brass percussion cap ,on doing so we notice that the compacted fultimate was lodged on the top of the nipple he then started to remove the compound using his finger nail which was enough to ignite and discharge the gun.
Feltwad
Very nice but I don't see how that answers the question!
Misalignment of a hammer is a separate issue and why mess with priming compound, why not just recock and fire or add a new cap?

Has anyone ever actually experienced a gun discharging it self from NOTHING more than the hammer sitting on a cap?
I don't want to know about idiots with their guns, just someone walking along and their gun discharging by itself.

B

Latest posts

Back